Getting Help

Faculty and Staff

  • Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) - The EFAP has been designed to provide immediate assistance in times of crisis; help you deal with personal health matters, including mental illness; support you through life transitions; help you tackle everyday life issues; prevent problems from becoming overwhelming; and provide support and advice for achieving your health goals. All University of Alberta staff and faculty have access regardless of benefit coverage. The program also covers the eligible dependents faculty and staff covered under the supplementary health care benefits.

Resources available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week


1-800-663-1142 (English)

1-866-398-9505 (En Français)

1-888-384-9505 (TTY)

604-689-1717 (International - call collect)


  • Dealing With Traumatic Events

    In addition to psychological counselling services for children, teens and adults the EFAP provides consultation services for a variety of situations as part of the EFAP Plan Smart Service. comprehensive telephonic advice, as well as print and electronic resources are available through the EFAP.

    The EFAP also makes available periodic information on timely topics. Practical information on helping your children manage distress in the aftermath of a shooting is the current topic.




  • Graduate Students' Assistance Program (GSAP) - The GSAP has been designed to assist all graduate students to; provide immediate assistance in times of crisis, help in dealing with depression, anxiety, fear, addictions and other personal health issues, support you through life stage transitions (e.g. marriage, career, bereavement), prevent problems from becoming overwhelming and provide support and advice for achieving your health goals and obtaining new heights of well-being. All University of Alberta graduate students have access to the program at no additional cost.

Resources available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week


1-800-663-1142 (English)

1-866-398-9505 (En Français)

1-888-384-9505 (TTY)

604-689-1717 (International - call collect)


  • Immediate and 24-Hour Support Services for Current Students - please follow this link.
  • Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry Students - Learner Advocacy and Wellness - Contact Lisa Purdy, email:, ph: 780.492.6511


Resources for Everyone


  • In case of emergency - call 911
  • University of Alberta Protective Services - Our officers are first responders to all emergencies on campus, and we also may be reached by any payphone (toll free call), emergency phone, or by regular telephone (492-5050). Assistance to anyone calling our office is treated with high priority.

24 hours a day, 7 days a week


  • Helping Individuals at Risk, U of A - The Helping Individuals at Risk (HIAR) program encourages the campus community to Trust Your Instincts, to recognize and report worrisome behaviours of those at risk of harm to self or others. HIAR provides a confidential centralized location for reports of worrisome behaviours, connects situations that would otherwise seem to be isolated incidents, and helps connect individuals at risk to resources before a situation escalates.


  • Safe Disclosure and Human Rights - The Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights provides a safe, neutral and confidential space for people to disclose concerns about how university policies, procedures or ethical standards are being applied. This includes concerns about fraud, discrimination, harassment and bullying or research misconduct.


External Resources

The following resources are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • Addiction Help Line - Alberta Health Services offers alcohol, other drugs, tobacco and problem gambling information, support and referral services to callers accessing its confidential help line. NOTE: This is not a crisis line.

1-866-332-2322 (toll free within Alberta)

  • Community Urgent Services and Stabilization Team (Adult) - This team is the amalgamation of the Adult Crisis Response Team and the Community Support Team. The team offers a range of community based integrated and recovery focused assessments and stabilization services to people who are experiencing a mental health crisis. Services include crisis response, either phone or mobile, and short-term clinic, community, or home based stabilization services.


  • First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line - The Help line provides immediate culturally competent telephone-based crisis intervention counselling to First Nations and Inuit young people and adults experiencing distress. Services are available in English and French, callers may also ask about the availability of the service in Cree, Ojibway and Inuktitut.


  • Health Link Alberta - Call 811 to access health information and advice from a registered nurse. Health Link support is available in 200 different languages.


  • Mental Health Help Line - Health professionals provide crisis intervention, information on mental health programs and services, and referral to other agencies where appropriate. This confidential, anonymous service is provided by Health Link Alberta and is available to all Albertans.

1-877-303-2642 (toll free within Alberta)

780-482-HELP (4357)

  • Trans Lifeline - The Trans Lifeline is dedicated to the well-being of transgender people. The hotline is staffed by transgender people for transgender people.


Resources available during business hours:

  • Community Mental Health Clinics - Alberta Health Services has a comprehensive list of community mental health centres through the greater Edmonton region. Clinic phone numbers are available online.