Interdisciplinary Studies

Funding and Awards

Graduate Teaching Assistantships & Graduate Research Assistantships
The Programs within the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies annually appoint a number of Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantships for services requiring three to twelve hours a week for 4 or 8 months per year. All applicants to Humanities Computing are automatically considered for a Graduate Assistantship. Appointments are not made until students have been formally admitted to the program. Appointments are normally made in June. Ranking of students by merit is done in conjunction with admissions; when the graduate committee ranks applicants, it generally takes into consideration the applicant's statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, record of awards and publications and gradepoint average (not necessarily in that order). The Programs in the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies cannot guarantee funding for MA students.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships
The function of a Teaching Assistant is to provide assistance for Faculty in the teaching function in a way that makes a significant contribution to the Faculty member's teaching efforts, while providing additional opportunities for specialized training of the Teaching Assistant. Students holding teaching assistantships may be required to assist with lecture preparation, marking or seminars. HUCO hires only one Teaching Assistant per year from among upper year students.

Graduate Research Assistantships
For incoming graduate students, their ranking by the graduate committee will determine if they are eligible for one of the program-funded Research Assistantships. RAs paid from faculty grants are awarded at the discretion of the individual faculty member who holds the grant. N.B. Students who have already received some type of funding (e.g. SSHRC, FGSR Recruitment Awards) will be considered on a lower priority for distribution of further funding.

Awards Administered by Other Agencies
Canadian and Permanent Resident students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher in each of their last two years of study are eligible to apply to the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). Students may apply in the Fall preceding their entry into into the program in order to be funded in their first year, or they may apply in their first year in order to be funded in their second year. Note that SSHRC funding for MA students is for one year only. For more information on SSHRC please go to the website at .

International students are required to inquire about financial aid from agencies or governments in their home country; those from Commonwealth countries are eligible for Commonwealth Scholarships and can write to the Canadian High Commissioner in their home country. More information can be obtained by contacting University of Alberta International.

Travel awards
FGSR Graduate Travel Awards Funds for the travel awards administered by the FGSR (Mary Louse Imrie Graduate Student Award and the J. Gordin Kaplan Graduate Student Award) are provided by two endowments. Increases in graduate student enrolment coupled with limited available funds have made it necessary to revise the allocation and eligibility for these travel awards. For more information about these awards, please go to the FGSR website. GSA Professional Development Awards The Academic Employment of Graduate Student (AEGS) fund is a benefit to all graduate students, provided by the Graduate Students' Association (GSA).

The Professional Development Award provided from the AEGS fund allows for graduate students to participate in professional development activities such as conferences, research trips, and not-for-credit courses. To learn more about this award, please go to the GSA website.

Interdisciplinary Studies Research Travel Award Information
This award has been organized to give Graduate Students in either the Religious Studies or Humanities Computing Programs an opportunity for travel assistance to expose your research and conclusions to peer review, to test ideas with acknowledged experts, etc. This trip should be a highlight of your graduate program. Typically, this activity will involve attending a major national or international conference where you must be actively participating by presenting a paper, poster session, or participating in a panel discussion, exhibiting work, etc. In some instances, this travel may afford you an opportunity to visit a major archive, museum, etc. where information critical to your graduate program research is lodged and resident experts may be consulted. The travel fund is not intended to support routine data collection off campus. Trips to field sites, off-campus research stations, etc., are NOT eligible, nor is attendance at a conference where the student is an observer rather than an active participant.

Eligibility Requirements: Students must be registered both at the time of application and at the time of the proposed travel. Travel awards are available to students in the first or second year of the HUCO program. Preference will be given to students who have NOT previously received a travel award. For those who have received a travel award from the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies, the application will not be considered for full or partial funding until March (end of fiscal year). This is to allow those students who have not had the opportunity to receive a travel award to submit an application. There is no deadline, and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until available funds have been exhausted; any funds remaining at fiscal year end (March) may be allocated to applications received from students who have received funds in preceding years. The pool of funds for graduate student travel is not considerable and is unlikely to meet annual student needs; it is probable that the pool of funds will be fully allocated well before the expiration of the fiscal year on March 31. Students must provide evidence that their conference presentation has been accepted at the time of application. If students are claiming reimbursement against their flight, they MUST submit e-ticket/itinerary and boarding passes and other claims (i.e. registration fees, hotel expenses) original receipts MUST BE SUBMITTED. Please submit receipts to the Executive Assistant, 412 Arts & Convocation Hall. Graduate students who apply for a Travel Award must do so with the assumption that it may not be approved. Download the Interdisciplinary Studies Research Travel Award Application form (MS Word).