All graduate program applicants at the University of Alberta apply through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR). To start your graduate application, visit Apply for Admission or contact our Graduate Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-492-4802.
Humanities Computing requires the following documents as part of the application process
- Academic documents, including transcripts and degree certificates (as specified by FGSR)
- Proof of English Language proficiency if required (IELTS, Pearson, TOEFL)
- Original letters of reference from three referees
- HUCO or HUCO with Specialization: A two-page statement of program/interest hat describes what your suitability for the program and what your research interests for the program are.
- HUCO/SLIS 1000-2000 word Statement of Purpose (see the SLIS website for further requirements)
The deadline for application to HUCO with a specialization in another department or to the combined HUCO/SLIS program is January 2 for all applicants. Please note that all materials, including letters of reference, must be received by us by this date.
The deadline for applications to the HUCO individualized program is February 1 for all domestic applicants (Canadian citizens and permanent residents) and most international applicants. Please note that all materials, including letters of reference, must be received by us by this date.
The deadline to be considered for funding is also February 1. However, a series of entry scholarships are awarded on a rotating basis beginning on November 1, so the earlier your application is completed, the better your chance of obtaining one of these scholarships. Funding is not guaranteed to students and is awarded on a competitive basis.
International students from certain countries are strongly advised to apply by December 1 in order to ensure that study permits can be obtained. Countries where we have been experiencing significant delays with study permits include: Nigeria, People's Republic of China, and Iran. Students from these countries who apply after December 1 and before February 1 do so at their own risk.