Health and Wellness

University life can be stressful, and it’s important to eat well and stay active. Check out the following resources:

General Health

University Health Centre

The University Health Centre, located in SUB 2-200 is a convenient on-campus clinic which offers a variety of medical services to UAlberta students, staff, and faculty. These services include physician examinations, immunizations, and nutrition advice, among others.

If you visit the University Health Centre you'll need to bring your ONE card, as well as your health insurance card.

Get Help and Information by Phone

In Alberta you can call HealthLink at 811. HealthLink is often much quicker than going to a hospital or clinic, and it can help you in many ways, including:

  • Health advice: if you have questions about a health issue, or need to know what to do
  • Health information: should you have health related questions, HealthLink can provide answers
  • Finding healthcare: HealthLink can help you find a hospital, clinic, or other medical services

HeathLink also provides service in many languages - if you're unsure about asking your question in English, you're able to request service in your native language.

Walk-in Clinics

Walk-in clinics (no appointment necessary) are a great option for dealing with minor injuries and illnesses, or routine medical examinations. These clinics are located all over Edmonton, and are often a better option than a hospital in non-emergency situations. Medicentres is the largest provider of walk-in clinics in the Edmonton area, although you can call HealthLink (811) for information about clinics near you.

Health Care Insurance

Medical expenses can be extremely high in Canada. You will need health insurance while you are here. See the Health Insurance page for information and coverage details.

Finding a Doctor

The College of Physicians and Surgeons has a "Find a Physician" service on their website. With the advanced search you can identify doctors who speak your native language.

Personal Safety and Security

The North Campus of the University of Alberta covers a large area of the City of Edmonton and the daily population of the campus alone reaches over 50,000 people.  We all have a role to play in maintaining a safe environment for the staff and students. University of Alberta Protective Services has Peace Officers working throughout the campus, and they have put together a Personal Safety and Security Handbook for your reference.


Safewalk is a program run through the UAlberta Student Union. It provides a safe and reliable alternative to walking alone at night around the UAlberta campus community. This program will provide two volunteers to escort you anywhere around the UAlberta campus or the surrounding community at night, or after dark. You can book a walk at 780-492-5563.

NOTE: Safewalk does not operate during the summer months (May-August).

Counselling & Clinical Services

Counselling & Clinical Services

Asking for help when you need it is extremely important. You can visit UAlberta's Counselling & Clinical Services on the 2nd floor of the Students' Union Building.

Disability Needs

Student Accessibility Services

Offers support and information for students with disabilities on campus.

Support from Friends

Run by International Student Services, this program matches new international students with senior students who provide ongoing information, assistance and guidance throughout the year. They will also keep you up to date on the various social events and activities through the International Centre.

Formerly the Student Distress Centre, this is a Students' Union service that offers the University community a place to talk to someone for support. The Centre is located in Room 2-707 of the Students’ Union Building, and also provides services over the phone.

An LGBT student group that aims to provide a positive atmosphere and meeting space, crisis support and to work to end discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.