• Assess client’s eligibility to file a tax return at the ISS Tax Clinic
• Ensure client has all of the required documents (tax slips)
• File client’s tax return
• Educate client on Canada’s tax system and the importance of filing a tax return every year
Qualities we look for:
• Professional work etiquette
• Strong English communication skills
• Able to successfully obtain the EFile number and pass the EFile security check
Please note: You must have a valid study permit until January 1, 2018 or beyond to obtain an EFile number.
• Available Monday-Friday
• Minimum of 20 hours between March 23 - April 13 and April 26 - 28, 2017
• There will not be any shifts scheduled during the final exam period (April 14 – 25, 2017)
To be a tax clinic volunteer, you must follow the step-by-step process to register:
Are you having trouble completing the EFILE or CVITP forms? Follow these tips:
• "Contact name (Responsible for electronic filing)"
○ Answer: Your name
• "Do you have any current affiliation with a community organization?"
○ Answer: Yes
• "Are you available to affiliate with other community organizations?"
○ Answer: No
• "Find your community organization" or "Official or registered name of organization" section
○ Answer: U of Alberta International Student Services
• "Business address"
○ Answer: 142 Telus Centre, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2R1
○ Answer: Start date: March 5, End date: April 30
• "Type of returns to transmit"
○ Answer: T1 Returns
• "Security methods to protect confidential information"
○ Answer: removable hard drives stored under lock and key, password protection, hard-disk encryption programs
Volunteers must attend the mandatory training and orientation sessions. Dates for these sessions are outlined in the application form.
Application Deadline: Now closed.
Still interested in volunteering for a tax clinic? Apply for the UAAC Tax Clinic.