NOTE: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced new regulations for prospective international students:
- All applications must include the University of Alberta Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number. University of Alberta DLI #: O19257171832. Note: The first character in the DLI number is the letter 'O', not the digit/number zero '0'.
- if your study permit expires and you have not applied for a new one, you will be able to restore it only if you met the conditions of your study permit.
- if you do not comply with the conditions of your study permit,you may be asked to leave Canada and must not return for a year without written permission.
- your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date) or on the expiry date of your study permit.
Read more about these changes and how they may impact you.
You can renew your study permit online with the following supporting documents:
- Proof of current enrollment (available from the Office of the Registrar)
- Proof of funds available/means of support
Application fee is $150 CDN and must be paid when applying by credit card.
It is important to apply as early as possible since the processing time may take a few months. You can check the current estimate of processing times online.