Study Permit


Start your Study Permit application as soon as you receive your UAlberta acceptance letter. 

You can choose to apply online or through a paper application. Please check Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Study in Canada website for more information including application forms and locations of Canadian visa offices. 

All applications must include the University of Alberta Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number.

University of Alberta DLI #: O19257171832.
Note: The first character in the DLI number is the letter 'O', not the digit/number zero '0'.

Documents required

  • Application for study permit
  • Letter of acceptance
  • Proof of financial support
  • Passport photos
  • Valid passport

In addition to these documents, you may have to provide other information when you apply. Check the website of the visa office responsible for your country or region for local requirements. Depending on your country of residency, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa and an immigration medical exam.

The application fee is $150 CDN and must be paid when applying.

Studying less than 6 months

It is possible to study in Canada for less than six months without a Study Permit. The program must be completed within the original period authorized for your stay (usually six months) when you entered Canada.

If you originally attend UAlberta for one term only (e.g., exchange and visiting students), want to extend your studies and do not have a study permit, you will be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Already studying in Canada

If you currently study at a high school in Canada, your Study Permit is likely only valid for that level of study. If you have a high school study permit, you will not be able to start your university program until the study permit has the correct university designation stated as "post-secondary institution". You must make sure that you apply for a  post secondary study permit before attending the University of Alberta.

Post-secondary students who apply for and obtain a study permit on or after June 1 will be required to notify CIC when transferring from one DLI to another (at the post-secondary level).

NOTE: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced new regulations for prospective international students effective June 1, 2014. Read more about these changes and how they may impact you.