The International Undergraduate Student Bursary (IUSB) Program provides bursaries to undergraduate international students in the event of an unanticipated financial shortfall due to extenuating circumstances.
The IUSB is a non-repayable grant paid directly into students’ financial customer accounts to pay outstanding tuition.
Selection for the bursary is based on demonstrated financial need. Preference is given to students in their final year of study who provide records of employment and sufficient documentation of extenuating circumstances.
The IUSB competition is now closed. Please check back next year to apply for the next round of IUSB funding in July 2019.
At the time of application, applicants must:
- Be an international student in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Alberta
- Be registered in Fall 2018 term and in the previous winter term (Winter 2018)
- Be currently paying international student differential fees
- Have satisfactory academic standing
- Have a valid study permit
- Have demonstrated financial need
Preference will be given to:
- Students who have been employed during previous terms and in summer months—students should demonstrate a minimum contribution of $3000 saved from summer and/or term employment.
- Students in their final year of study.
- Students have not previously received the IUSB.
Evaluations are based on:
- Extenuating issues or conditions made evident through sufficient supporting documentation
- Level of student contribution (at least $3,000 saved from summer and/or term employment to meet financial need)
- Level of parental contribution
- Tuition payment plan for the duration of studies
- Academic standing/performance (GPA and awards/scholarships)
- Terms left to complete studies
- Supporting documentation provided
- Student's level of unanticipated financial shortfall
Applications will be adjudicated following the IUSB assessment criteria.