The program will provide up to $300,000 for the mobility of Canadian senior undergraduate or graduate students to undertake an internship abroad or to support international graduate students to study or undertake research at the University of Alberta. Funded projects are limited to a select number of countries in Latin America and the Caribbean and must have a focus on education, social services or health.
Please see the Program Guidelines for details of the program.
This recent call builds on the initial QES program launched in 2014. The University has been successful in obtaining four funded proposals in these prior competitions. In this round, universities can only submit one proposal to the competition.
Those interested in putting forward a proposal, or contributing to a proposal that might include other units on campus, should provide an expression of interest to UAlberta International by September October 4, 2019.
Please ensure the expression of interest addresses the following:
- Geographic focus of project (See Annex B of the QES guidelines)
- Brief overview of the project outlining how it supports the QES goals outlined in the Program Guideline. Note in particular that “priority will be given to project proposals that focus on diversity and inclusion and which offer innovative solutions to complex community issues.”
- Who will be involved from University of Alberta
- List the partners the project will work with and the length of time or past experience you have working with these partners.
- Which of the 2 components (outgoing Canadians or incoming international students) will the project contain? If the project will include both components, indicate the percentage of activity that will be internships for Canadian students and what percentage of the project will be scholarships for international students.
- Estimated value of the project – maximum funds available from funder is $300K. Does the project seek the full value of the funds available?
- Estimated contribution. What in kind or direct contributions will be contributed to the overall project? Note the expectation is that the University will match the $300K with in-kind or cash contributions.
One proposal will be developed from the expressions of interest for submission to Universities Canada by November 4, 2019. Depending on the submissions received, this might be the selection of one project to develop into a full proposal or a combination of projects.
Questions and submissions should be sent to:
University of Alberta International