Country: China City: Various
Please note, information on this page is only applicable to full-time students who are Canadian citizens.
Please note, CLIC Support is automatically provided to successful program applicants.
The Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC) connects Canadian university students with Chinese universities through unique study abroad programs. Participating in a CLIC program is a great way for Canadian students to have innovative and meaningful educational opportunities in China. Through CLIC, the Ministry of Education in China and CLIC Canadian member universities have partnered to cover a variety of costs for Canadian students who desire to study in China.
CLIC is uniquely tailored to meet the needs of Canadian students. CLIC makes learning opportunities in China more accessible, through significant funding options and improved credit transfers. CLIC is not only beneficial to students, but it will also support and improve Canada’s ability to build productive relationships with China, to expand reciprocal trade, and to improve collaboration in business, research, innovation and cultural exchanges.
Canada Learning Initiative in China Website
When can I go?
Summer, Fall, Winter. FUll Year
Only full time students who are Canadian citizens and attending a CLIC Member university are eligible for CLIC support.
CLIC member universities include the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, Laval University, University de Montréal, University of Ottawa, Queen's University, University of Toronto, University of Dalhousie, University of British Columbia, University of Saskatchewan.
Funding & Housing
The purpose of CLIC is to make study in China highly accessible and valuable. CLIC is specifically designed to address the challenges students face with studying abroad, including the financial burden. Financial support for travel and study in China includes:
- Travel Scholarship (the amount is determined by your home university)
- 3000 yuan (≈$600CAN) per month stipend
- Subsidized accommodations
- Free medical insurance
- No application fees at the Chinese university
- Only Canadian citizens are eligible for CLIC support
- If you are already receiving a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council, you will not be eligible to receive CLIC financial support
- Students may only receive CLIC support for one summer program throughout their academic career.
How to apply
You will need to apply at the same time to:
- The Education Abroad Program (Deadlines: January 30, 2019, for CLIC exchanges, February 18, 2019, for CLIC internships, and February 25, 2019, for summer approved courses for UAlberta credit, and March 1, 2019 for summer programs) or your Faculty; AND
- The China Scholarship Council (CSC). Deadline: March 6, 2019.
See full details
Eligible Programs for CLIC Support
Faculty of Medicine:
School of Business:
Fudan University, School of Management
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
Tsinghua University - People's Bank of China School of Finance
Xi’an Jiaotong University
Summer Study Abroad Programs - March 1, 2019 Deadline
Summer Programs Approved for UAlberta credits - February 25, 2019 Deadline
International Development: Education at East China Normal University
Entrepreneurship at Zhejiang University
Experiential Health Seminar at Fudan University
Nankai Economic Programs at Nankai University
Harbin Intensive Language program
Research internships are available for the UAlberta students, Details here. Please enter the name of the internship you'd like to apply for in your Letter of Intent. Note; Eligible students may need to take EXT 300 in order to qualify for CLIC support.
Summer Research Internships at Shanghai Jiaotong University
Dr. Zhi Jones