How to File Your Taxes Online

Do Your Taxes Online for Free with These Tutorials

Frequently Asked Questions on How to File Your Taxes

A. I don’t have a SIN number. Where can I get it?
Visit Service Canada's website to apply for your SIN. Your study permit must indicate "may accept employment" or "may work" in Canada to be eligible. If you have any questions, call Service Canada at 1-866-274-6627.
B. I’m not eligible for SIN. Which number should I use to file my tax return?

If you are not eligible to obtain a SIN, you need to apply for an ITN (Individual Tax Number). Download and complete the T1261 form. Mail your application form along with the supporting documents to the ITN Tax Unit. The ITN address is on the form.

C. If I didn’t work, do I still need to do my taxes?
Yes, we highly recommend that you do! It is a good idea to build your educational credit with the government; if you ever get a job in Canada - it can reduce the amount of tax you owe.
D. Due to COVID19, I went back to my home country in 2020. Do I consider myself as a resident, and should I file my tax?
The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain or you establish residential ties with Canada. Residential ties include a home in Canada, your personal property (car or furniture), economic ties (bank account, credit card), driver’s license, health insurance, etc. The CRA's webpage will help you determine your residency status.
E. When do I have to submit my taxes?

By April 30 every year


F. What if I cannot file before the deadline, or what if I missed the deadline?

If you do not file your tax return on or before the tax filing deadlines, the CRA will charge penalties and interest on the amount owing and on the penalty levelled starting on the day after your return is due.

If you are expecting a tax refund, there is no penalty to be paid. However, it is always better to claim your tax refund and to apply for any benefits and rebates you are entitled to before the end of tax season.

G. Where can I get tax slips (T2202A, T4, T4A)?

Follow these steps to get your University tax slips.

You can also log in to your Bear Tracks and click "Financials." For employers other than the University, ask your supervisor. It is the law that all Canadian employers must provide these slips to their employees (please note, contracts and self-employment are different).

H. In 2020, I received Canada Emergency Response Benefit(CERB). Was it taxable? How should I report this amount when filing my tax?
Yes, CERB is taxable. You need to report the amount on your 2020 income tax return. You will get a T4A tax slip from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA); you may also get a copy of your T4A slip from your MyCRA Account. If you still do not have your T4A information, contact CRA at 1-800-959-8281.
I. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in 2020. I heard that I could claim the employment expenses for working from home. How can I claim this expense?
You could claim this expense, and the deductions reduce the amount of income you pay tax. There are two methods, and please visit the CRA website for your eligibility and detailed information.
J. Do I need to send my supporting documents if I file my tax return electronically?
When you file your tax return electronically, you are not required to send your receipts, information slips and other supporting documents. However, you should keep this material safe and accessible. The CRA can occasionally require documents, in which case they would contact you and specify what they need.
K. Do I have to pay for online tax software?
UFile has a free option for post-secondary students. We demonstrate how to take advantage of this program in the third video above, "Your Forms." The voucher number you need is CFS1981. The same code will work for tax years  2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
L. Can I set up a Direct Deposit?
Yes, we recommend you set up a direct deposit. You can do this through your tax submission - steps found in the fourth video above or through your MyCRA account.
M. I’m married, and I have two children. Can I still use UFile for free?
To use UFile online for free, you must be designated as the family head (the first person entered in the account) to file your tax file in UFile.
N. My Friend is in the same class; why did they get a larger refund than I did?
The amount you have paid into the system through your employment determines your refund amount. For education, the government gives tax breaks on how much you owe. This means you would pay less in taxes; the government is not giving out money. Your friend may have received a larger amount because they paid into the system that usually goes through pay-slip deductions.
O. Do I need a MyCRA account?
We highly recommend you do, as it can help you track your own credits year to year. Your MyCRA account is the easiest place to print off your notice of assessment as well. View My Account for Individuals.

You can also set up a direct deposit with a MyCRA account; that way, they can submit the refund you are entitled to directly into your bank account.
P. Can I claim moving expenses?
Maybe, it depends if you received a scholarship, fellowship, or bursary required to be included in your income. Read more.
Q. Can I file taxes from another country?
Yes, you can file your taxes from another country online. Once you have set up a direct deposit, you can manage any funds owing or owed abroad.
R. What if I made mistakes and need to correct my tax return after filing?
You cannot change your tax return electronically, but you can mail a completed T1 Adjustment Request form to the CRA as instructed on the form. UFile can also help you correct your tax return. You can make changes to your tax return online once you have received your Notice of Assessment using the CRA's My Account Service.
S. Who should I contact if I have questions about filing a tax return?
Contact the International Student Services team by making an appointment. You can also call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Tax Filing Support

Get help filing your 2021 Canadian income taxes.

Please note, our advisors can only help with general questions. For all individual tax-related questions, you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.