FAQ for Fall 2021

Read IRCC Updates on Immigration, Travel, Employment and COVID-19

Arrival Information

A. Is there transportation to campus from the airport?

International Student Services will monitor local travel restrictions and update information accordingly. We will do our best to link students to reliable services.

Travellers are under mandatory 14-day self-quarantine (internationally arriving passengers from outside the country) may take public transportation, such as taxis or ridesharing, if they do not show any symptoms. Transportation is provided as part of the UAlberta Isolation Accommodation Program.

Students are encouraged to check the Edmonton International Airport for updates at their time of travel.

Tuition and Fees

A. Will online courses tuition and fees be different from in-person tuition and fees?

The online courses are delivered by the same high-quality instructors who also deliver on-campus instruction.

Tuition Deposit Deadline

The deadline for applicants to pay their tuition deposit has been extended from May 1, 2020, to June 1, 2020. Students can begin registering in courses once their tuition deposit is received and processed.

Studying Online at UAlberta

A. If I have technical problems with my online courses, where do I get help?
Visit the University Information Services and Technology for any technical issues.
B. Due to the time difference, how can I join the live lecture or discussion, etc.?
Many live lectures will be recorded for viewing at different times. It is considered best practice to hold live discussions multiple times to allow for broader worldwide participation or to use thread-like chains to allow for contribution over different time zones. If you are having difficulty with the timing of your program specifically, it is always advisable to reach out to the professor of that course and respectfully let them know of your troubles directly.

Services and Support for Students

A. What academic supports are available to me, and how accessible are they?

Check with your Faculty for online supports.

The Academic Success Centre has collected resources to assist you in the transition to distance learning.

B. What services on campus will be open to help me during the term?
All services are and will be open for students, though the interactions with these services may have shifted online.
C. What supports are available to help with feeling isolated?
Get involved - talk to people in real-time. Take advantage of some of the online activities produced around the campus and community.
D. Who do I speak to about landlord issues?

It is important to know your rights and responsibilities and to understand what you are responsible for. Visit our guide on Renter's Rights and Responsibilities and also read to learn about the landlord-tenant act and the Government of Alberta guidelines.

UAlberta Residences are available for Fall 2020 intake.

Residences will be available for incoming and returning students for 2020-2021, subject to directives from the Chief Medical Officer. Accommodation will also be available for students arriving who may need self-isolation. This applies to students wishing to live in residence and students, faculty and staff returning to campus from international locations.

E. How do students connect to the community, supports/resources, and build friendships/cohort?

Many of UAlberta services for students are available online.

Counselling & Clinical Services set up online to support as many students as possible while the campus works remotely due to COVID-19. They provide single-session, supportive counselling via telephone in lieu of regular on-going counselling and initial consultation services. Learn more

Residences, Faculties and International Students Services have virtual peer and mentoring programs running. Do take advantage of some of the online activities produced around the campus community. Email advising@ualberta.ca to make connections.

Working in Canada

A. What resources are available for career preparation?

There are many career resources on campus, including at UAlberta International and the Career Centre, available online.

International students can contact Wendy Yu, International Student Advisor - Career Development.

Graduate students can find professional development resources on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website.

Job Search Tips During COVID-19


Make an appointment with an advisor to join an online advising session. 

Make an Online Advising Appointment

Subscribe to Global Beat

Global Beat is the International Services Centre's bi-weekly newsletter. It is one of many channels used to keep International Students and visitors up-to-date on the latest news, information, and upcoming events both on and off-campus.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Connect with us!