Family Health Care

Health Care Coverage: AHCIP (Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan)

If you are an international student with a family and you plan to reside in Alberta for more than 12 months with a valid study permit, your family members (your spouse and children) may be eligible to apply for AHCIP after they arrive.

Alberta Health requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your application for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

  • Confirmation of permanent residence
  • Permanent resident card
  • Active work* (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta or designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation

"Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months".

For family members, the document may be a work permit of your spouse or a visitor record of your family members.

Learn more about temporary residents and AHCIP

Learn more about the GSA Health and Dental Plan

Full-time graduate students starting in September and January are automatically enrolled in the plan; part-time graduate students and those wishing to add spouses and dependents to their plan must opt-in through StudentCare during specific opt-in periods.

Learn more about the SU Health and Dental Plan

Other health insurance options:


If you or your spouse are pregnant or are planning a pregnancy, please consider talking to your family doctor or a doctor in the University Health Centre located at 2-200 Students' Union Building on main campus.

EI maternity benefits are offered to biological mothers, including surrogate mothers, who cannot work because they are pregnant or have recently given birth.

EI parental benefits are offered to parents caring for a newborn or newly adopted child or children.

You may be eligible to receive Employment Insurance (EI) maternity or parental benefits if:

  • you are employed in insurable employment;
  • you meet the specific criteria for receiving EI maternity or parental benefits;
  • your normal weekly earnings are reduced by more than 40%; and
  • you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period or, if you are a self-employed fisher, you earned enough money during the qualifying period
Check if you are eligible

More resources

See Graduate Students' Association (GSA), Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement on maternal/paternal leave: (article 16)

See the Graduate Student Agreement Resources

Subscribe to Global Beat

Global Beat is the International Services Centre's bi-weekly newsletter. It is one of many channels used to keep International Students and visitors up-to-date on the latest news, information, and upcoming events both on and off-campus.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Connect with us!