Bringing Family

If you're bringing your family to Canada - or want to invite your family/friends to visit you - make sure they have the immigration documentation they need.

Preparing to bring your family to Canada

If you are contemplating having your family join you in Canada, there are a few things to do first. You will be required to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support both you and your family while in Canada. Learn more about budgeting and the financial resources needed to bring your family to Canada. You will also be required to send a letter of invitation to your family stating the length of time they will be in Canada (normally for the same duration as you intend to remain here). They must then apply through the Canadian visa office nearest them.

A. Study Permits for Children and Spouses

Spouses who wish to attend educational institutions in Canada require Study Permits. They may be applied for after arrival in Canada. If your spouse will be attending studies of duration greater than six months, they must obtain their own Study Permit. The process for obtaining immigration documents within Canada can take up to two months to complete.

Please note that spouses and children of international students and foreign workers are the only visitors who may apply for Study Permits from within Canada.

To study at a primary or secondary school, minor children (under 18 years of age) of Study or Work Permit holders may be required to apply for a Study Permit for entry to Canada, but do not need to maintain it once in Canada. However, minor children are still required to maintain valid status by applying for a Visitor Record even if the Study Permit is not extended.

If your child is eighteen years or older and/or will be attending post-secondary studies, they will require a Study Permit.

Tips on how to apply

Inviting Family Members Spousal Open Work Permit