Dr. Soebbing’s main research interest focuses on the strategic behavior of sport and recreation organizations and their constituents. Within this research area, Dr. Soebbing examines issues related to sport facilities and events, decisions made by organizational leaders and its members, policies adopted/modified by sports and recreation organizations, and behaviors by consumers of sport and recreation.
• Novelty effects and sports facilities in smaller cities: Evidence from Canadian hockey arenas (with Dan Mason and Brad Humphreys).
• The rhetorical work of a partnership coordinator in mega-project construction (with Bill Foster and Chad Seifried).
• Is there economic discrimination on sport social media? An analysis of Major League Baseball (with Nick Watanabe, Grace Yan, and Ann Pegoraro).
• The impact of deviance on head coach dismissals and implications of a personal conduct policy (with Jeremy Foreman and Chad Seifried).
• The effect of Porter's generic strategies on organisational problems of non-profit sport clubs (with Pamela Wicker, Svenja Feiler, & Christoph Breuer).
Dr. Soebbing’s secondary research interest focuses on the social and economic impact of gambling within society. Previous research published in this area examining gambling participants and impacts of gambling within the broader community.
• Access to legal gambling and the incidence of crime: Evidence from Alberta (with Brad Humphreys).
• Examining participation in sports betting in Germany (with Pamela Wicker).
• Consumer behaviour in lottery: The double hurdle approach and zeros in gambling survey data (with Brad Humphreys and Yang Seung Lee).
Dr. Soebbing has presented his research at international conferences in the areas of management, economics, sport management, gambling and urban affairs. His research has appeared in journals such as the Journal of Sport Management, Urban Studies, Growth and Change, Sport Management Review, Sport Marketing Quarterly, International Journal of Sport Finance, Contemporary Economic Policy, Journal of Sports Economics, and Economic Letters. He is also the Associate Editor for Sport and Entertainment Review and the International Journal of Sport Finance.