What type of volunteering is expected from Orchesis members?
Volunteering for Orchesis is not typically time consuming. Examples include:
- selling tickets to Motif for 1-2 hours in designated sales area
- helping with poster placement
- dance archival files
- assisting with advertising sales in the concert program
- helping to clean costumes after the performance
- helping in the theatre before tech week
There are more responsible roles as well. These are continuing volunteer positions and they are reserved for dancers who want to help lead the group. We call this group the Volunteer Executive and the Extended Executive. These roles have membership discounts of 50% - 75% attached to them because their roles are ongoing. Please refer to the volunteer executive link on this website for information.
I want to perform in Dance Motif, but I do not know what that requires. Is there an audition? And if so, when, and do I need to choreograph something?
Orchesis is very accessible for dancers who want to perform. You do not need to audition or choreograph anything.
- To participate you will need to attend the choreographers' idea presentations in September (this year’s date to be determined) from 8:10 PM to ~ 9:20 PM and the choreographic process is explained with time for Q&A
- Each choreographer talks about their dance for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Following choreographers’ presentations, interested dancers meet them and can sign up for a dance where the choreographer's rehearsal time works for them. Once you have signed up the choreographer will expect you to attend the first rehearsal.
- Dancers are required to attend their classes regularly for training and technique and be committed to the time requirements of their dance.
Where is the Dance Studio?
Orchesis is housed in the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation (KSR). KSR facilities are named the Van Vliet Complex (VVC) and it has seven building numbers: 1= University Hall offices, 2= East building, 3= , 4=Pavilion (PAV) often called the Butterdome (bright yellow exterior), 5= , 6= West Building areas 7= The Arena portion of the WEST building.
The Dorothy Harris Dance Studio room VVC 2-635 is located in the WEST building of the VVC on the 2nd floor level, just past the Main Gym. Many of the buildings are connected on the lower level and have clear signs telling you where to go.