This course will explore the key concepts and issues associated with facility and event management from the unique perspectives of the sport and event management industry. Students will become familiar with the key components of operation and management of athletic and recreation facilities and events. Major topics that will be covered are feasibility analysis; facility planning, design and construction; event planning; marketing; budgeting; human resource management; performance analysis and management; legacy and impacts; and future trends.
Students who successfully complete the course will be able to:
• Gain a broader understanding of the planning, development, management and operation of sport and recreation facilities and events.
• Enhance their understanding of operational management tools that are used by managers of sport/recreation facilities and events.
• Plan, organize resources, promote, direct personnel and evaluate an event to promote advocacy for sports and recreation.
• Acquire an understanding of the strategies required to plan and assess sports and recreation facilities and events.
• Use analytical tools to understand and critically assess the economic, social and community impact of a facility development and event hosting.
• Provide a detailed assessment of problems/issues relating to facility or event management for a sport and recreation organization.
Course Instructor: Cheryl Hawardt
As the Director of Campus & Community Recreation at the University of Alberta, Cheryl's portfolio oversees over 750,000 square feet of space spanning 37 sport and recreation facilities across two campuses. The role of Campus & Community Recreation is to support our communities to explore and enhance their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being through physical and social activity. Cheryl's 35-year career in Recreation and Sport Management, she has planned, developed and managed small and large facilities including both indoor and outdoor spaces. In addition to managing events that attracting a province-wide audience, Cheryl's portfolio includes; fitness, instructional and intramural programming, club sports, facility operations and event management. Cheryl is passionate about creating outstanding experiences for our clientele through safe, efficient facility operation, unique program offerings and excellent customer service.