Academic Requirements for students coming to the University of Alberta:
- A grade point average of 3.0, based on your most recent two years of academic study (or equivalent)
- A Master’s degree with a thesis in a related discipline. Applications from students with a Master’s degree without a thesis are considered by the Associate Dean on individual merit.
- Scanned copies of official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended (including incomplete studies and transfer credit courses). Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation provided by the institution issuing the transcript or by a certified translator. A Degree Certificate must accompany transcripts that do not clearly indicate that a degree has been conferred/awarded/granted; and the date on which the degree was conferred.
- Proof of current doctoral degree registration at Yonsei (please include English translation); transcripts can be a scanned copy of the original, or a scanned copy from your university's employee self-serve system. If they are from your university's system, they must show Yonsei's name, the system’s URL, and print date.
- Completion of the English Language Proficiency requirement as outlined below:
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose previous degrees are not in English require one of the following:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 88 (internet-based) with a score of at least 20 on each of the individual skill areas
- IELTS: minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least 5 on each test band (Academic)
- MELAB: minimum score of 85
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) requires an overall score of 59
EAP 550 may be used to satisfy the English Language requirement (offered through the Faculty of Extension); applicants must successfully complete EAP 550 with a result of CR (credit) before applying to a graduate program. Please contact the Graduate Programs Office for questions regarding EAP 550.
Note: Applicants with qualifications from certain countries and international universities are exempt from the English language requirements. See the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's exemptions list for more information.
Additional Requirements for students coming to the University of Alberta:
- Letter of Intent written by student; 1-2 typewritten pages explaining their area of interest, why this is an important area and their goals. Student is to also identify the faculty member they contacted as a potential program supervisor
- Student's Current CV/Resume
- Three references; at least two must be academic (attached Letter of Reference to support Application for Graduate Admission must be used; referee can append an additional letter)
- Submit all documentation to the Graduate Program Office at the University of Alberta
- Contact Dr. Normand Boulé, the designated faculty contact from the University of Alberta
- Dual degree students will pay the tuition and fees of the institution at which they are studying at the given time. Incoming students to the University of Alberta are required to pay at the rates for international students, unless they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Incoming Dual Degree students must spend at least two academic terms at Yonsei University before attending the University of Alberta. Dual Degree students must also spend at least two academic terms at the UofA. These terms do not have to be consecutive.
- Every Dual Degree student in the doctoral program must have a supervisor at each institution while in the Dual Degree Program.
Incoming students can find more about Yonsei specific deadlines at http://graduate.yonsei.ac.kr/en/