Student Employment and Graduate Assistantship Payments
Fall and Winter term Graduate Assistantships ([GA] the appointment of a graduate student as a Graduate Research Assistant [GRA], a Graduate Teaching Assistant [GTA], or to a Graduate Research Assistantship Fellowship [GRAF]) are typically arranged in spring of each year. Spring and Summer term GA’s are typically arranged in winter of each year. GA’s include Faculty Operation funded appointments (GRA, GTA, GRAF) and Trust (Grant) funded appointments (GRA, GRAF), and can be sourced from each one or a combination of both. Students are to check their Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation admission and funding offer letter (received prior to the start of program) for their funding commitment. Information regarding Faculty GA regulations is available on our website under Graduate Assistantship Funding and the Faculty’s Graduate Program Manual.
GA appointment letters are sent to students in June. Students who accept their GA agree to be employed by the University of Alberta and thereby agree to the terms and conditions of the Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement; a binding contract between the Board of Governors and the Graduate Student’s Association. Graduate assistantship appointment regulations, award and minimum salary rates, and payroll deadlines are available in the Graduate Students' Association Collective Agreement, and Human Resource Services Student Employment.
GA appointments are processed and paid by the Graduate Programs Office. Any questions regarding your student employment can be directed to Elisha Krochak, Graduate Programs Administrator. Students are to note and complete the following in order to receive payments:
- First payday (for appointments effective Fall) – September 25, 2017 (for work completed during September 1 – 15 pay period).
- Semi-monthly payments resume on the 10th and 25th (unless falls on a weekend or holiday) day of each month thereafter:
- September 1 – December 31: last pay January 10, 2018
- September 1 – April 30, or January 1 – April 30: last pay May 10, 2018
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) and Study Permits (International Students) A SIN is required to issue GA payments. Students are to send a photocopy of their card/letter directly to the Graduate Programs Administrator; email a scanned copy, or provide a hard copy in person or by mail.
- Returning UofA students: students who have held prior employment are not required to re-submit their SIN.
- International Students: Provide a copy of your Study Permit and SIN once they are available. Information on how to apply for a SIN is available here.
- Set up or update direct deposit account (mandatory)
- Set up in Bear Tracks under the Employee tab. For new students, the Employee tab will appear late August, early September after SIN and Study Permit (International students only) have been received. Instructions
- Update your personal information once you move to Edmonton: address, phone, etc.
- Returning UofA students, update direct deposit information if necessary. Accounts require updating if there has been no activity for 1-2 months.
- Register full time by September 7 to receive payments. Note this deadline is to receive payments, and is not the University’s registration deadline. Registration information is available under Student Resources/Program Planning and Registration.
Award and Scholarship Payments
Certain internal and external awards and scholarships are processed and paid by the Graduate Programs Office. These include, but are not limited to the following: