The Kule Institute for Advanced Study (KIAS) and the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta, in partnership with The Alberta Teachers’ Association (the “Association”), is pleased to announce a Signature Collaborations grant programme to encourage the co-development of research collaborations between University of Alberta faculty and certificated Alberta teachers. The programme will fund up to three projects per year in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years. Projects must include at least two certificated Alberta teachers and at least two full-time UAlberta faculty members, one of whom must be in the Faculty of Education. Successful projects will be awarded a grant of $10,000 to be spent over 18 months.
Application deadline for 2019/2020 projects: Monday, December 2nd, 2019.
Value: $10,000 for a period of 18 months.
Guidelines and Criteria
These grants provide support for the co-development of research collaborations between University of Alberta researchers and certificated teachers in the province of Alberta. We will select the successful grants based on the following criteria:
Appropriateness of the team. Is the project led by an interdisciplinary and intersectoral team capable of developing a research collaboration between teacher-researchers and faculty-researchers? Teams must include at least two certificated Alberta teachers and at least two full-time UAlberta faculty members, one of whom must be in the Faculty of Education. Ideally, the certificated Alberta teachers will also be engaged in current professional practice.
- Relevance of the research topic. Are the research questions relevant to K-12 education in Alberta? Do they fit the research priorities of the collaborating partners, especially the Alberta Teachers’ Association? Areas of research priority are guided by key findings emerging from a series of recent Alberta Teachers’ Association research studies. Priority topics this cycle are:
- Mental Health and Wellbeing (students, teachers, and/or school leaders)
- Diverse Learners/Complex Classrooms - including issues related to diversity, equity, human rights
- Curriculum: Transmission, Transactions, Transformation
- Suitability of the research plan. Is the scope of work to be done manageable given the resources provided? Is the design of the activities appropriate for the proposed research questions? Does the team have access to the research subjects and/or data? Is the timeline and budget appropriate for the proposed activities?
- Collaborative capacity development. Will the project position the team for further research? Will the team apply for funding from other sources like SSHRC at the end of the grant to continue this collaboration?
Proposals will be adjudicated by a joint review committee consisting of members from the Faculty of Education, KIAS and the Association.
Proposals should include:
- Project Title and Public Summary (150-200 words)
The project summary should be written for a lay audience as it will be shared with the public.
- Name and affiliation of the Principal Investigator (PI) on both the UAlberta and certificated Alberta teachers sides.
- Description of team (max. 1 page)
Names and affiliations of team members with a brief discussion of how their expertise advances the work of the team.
- Project description (max. 3 pages or 1500 words)
Discussion of research objectives, activities that will be undertaken, and outcomes.
- Timeline (can be a Gantt chart, or other graphical format, or bullet points)
Successful projects are expected to start (i.e., REB approvals and CAP application as required) in January 2020 and to finish within 18 months.
- Budget (max. 1 page with justification)
Budget items should be eligible expenses under SSHRC guidelines.
How to Apply
Applications should be emailed to KIAS (firstname.lastname@example.org) in PDF format. Please complete and attach the UAlberta Research Services Office's 'Proposal Request' with the proposal. The 'Proposal Request' is created and submitted via the Researcher Home Page. Instructions can be found in the Quick Reference Guide - Request for New Application/Proposal/Project NEW: with Online Approvals. The 'Proposal Request' submitted to KIAS must show proof of online approval of the UAlberta Department Chair, the Faculty Dean and RSO. You will need to check with your Research Facilitator to make sure you also follow RSO’s internal review deadline.
Results will be announced in December 2019. Successful projects are expected to start in January 2020. They will last 18 months with automatic 1 year extension if a reasonable explanation is provided. Research funds will be made available to investigators after providing proof of REB and CAP approvals if required for the project.