In 1990 William Stevenson was elevated from the Alberta Court of Appeal to Justice in the Supreme Court of Canada.
He had been a full-time professor of law at the University of Alberta (1968-1970) and a lecturer in law before and after those dates. He is the only member of the University of Alberta Faculty to be appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Was the first Chairman of the Legal Education Society of Alberta
In 1959 he was counsel on the last case from Canada to be appealed to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in London, England.
- Born 1934 in Edmonton, Alberta
- 1956 – Bachelor of Arts, University of Alberta
- 1957 – Graduated from the Faculty of law, University of Alberta
He was awarded the Horace Harvey Gold Medal in Law
- 1958 – Called to the Alberta Bar and joined law firm of Morrow, Morrow and Reynolds in Edmonton.
- 1959 – He was counsel on the last case from Canada to be appealed to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in London, England.
- 1963 – Became a lecturer at the University of Alberta Law Faculty
- 1968 – 1970 - He was a full-time professor of law
- 1970 – Returned to private practice but continued to lecture on law
1975 - Founded the Legal Education Society of Alberta and was its first Chair
He invented and headed Alberta’s Bar Admission Course For the Law Society
He is the author of many legal texts and co-founded The Alberta Law Review and was its First Editor-in-Chief (1955-1957). The house where its office is located is named the Hon. W.A. Stevenson Alberta Law Review House to recognise his support for the Alberta Law Review.
- 1975 – Appointed to the District Court of Alberta
- 1979 – Appointed the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta
- 1980 – Appointed to the Alberta Court of Appeal
- 1990 – 1992 - Elevated to the Supreme Court of Canada
In the late 1980s he was a founder of the Canadian Judicial Centre and is seen as a pioneer of continuing education for Canadian judges.
Demonstrated his commitment to student scholarship by establishing the William Morrow Essay Prize and the William A. Stevenson Endowment Fund
- 1992 – Received an Honourary LLD from the University of Alberta
- 1996 – Made Officer of the Order of Canada
Appointed Queen’s Counsel