Financial Aid, Prizes & Awards

International Student Fees

The Faculty of Law welcomes international students and the unique perspectives they bring to the classroom.We understand that preparing to move and live in Canada will prompt a number of questions.The University of Alberta is committed to helping international students adjust to life in Canada.

University of Alberta International provides services to international students in making a smooth transition with a multitude of programs and services. Please use the information found here and the University of Alberta International's website to learn more.

Tuition Costs for International Students

Please click here to view a sample assessment for international undergraduate students in the first year of the JD program. Fees are assessed on a course-by-course basis for international students.

Fees are assessed on a course-by-course basis for international students. Refer to the Office of the Registrar for a detailed breakdown of how the fees are assessed.

PLEASE NOTE: Effective July 1, 2008, the University of Alberta will no longer accept credit card as a method of payment for credit based tuition fees. [more information on payment options]. Fees are subject to change from year to year.


To study in Canada, you must obtain a Study Permit from the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate.

Where required, you may also need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa. Spouses and children who come to Canada will also require a Temporary Resident Visa. A multiple-entry visa allows you to re-enter Canada at a later date, without having to apply for a new visa. It is recommended that you check with your local Canadian Embassy well before you would want to arrive in Canada as it can sometimes take up to six months to complete the visa process.

Canadian law requires students to confirm their source of financial support for the entire study period and, in some countries, to have a medical examination. For more information, contact your nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate, or visit the Canadian government's Going to Canada website for more information.

Learn more about the UAlberta.

Still have questions?

Please contact:

Courtney Wagner
Phone: 780-492-6016