Internationally Trained Lawyer Pathway

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact with questions?

Please contact the NCA Coordinator, Miki Zwarich, with questions.
Phone: 780-492-8669

How many courses can I take?

Students may take up to a maximum of 10 courses within an academic year, or 35 credits, whichever comes first.

Can I take courses that are not required by the NCA?

Students may only take courses outlined by the NCA assessment.

Will I receive a degree?

This is a non-degree pathway, however transcripts can be used to apply to future degree programs or to apply for the NCA Certificate of Qualification.

What do I receive upon completion?

Students who complete all NCA Assessment requirements will receive a Certificate of Qualification. After receiving the Certificate of Qualification, foreign trained lawyers can apply for articling positions within any provincial common law jurisdiction.

What are non-instructional fees?

All University of Alberta students are required to pay non-instructional fees. A breakdown of the fees can be found here.

Can I apply for student loans or scholarships?

Students in the Internationally Trained Lawyer Pathway are not eligible to apply for government student loans or University of Alberta scholarships. Students are encouraged to seek alternate sources of funding, such as a professional student line of credit from a financial institution.

Can I extend my participation for one or two terms to complete more courses?

Students who wish to continue in the pathway for a second year are required to re-apply for the additional year and pay all associated fees.