As an exchange student you do not have to pay a tuition fee at the University of Alberta, but you will continue to pay tuition to your home institution.


The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) provides eligible students with unlimited access to regular Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County Transit services for Fall (September - December) and Winter (January - April) academic terms. The U-Pass is a partnership between the University, the Students’ Union, the Graduate Students’ Association and the three participating municipalities. Students overwhelmingly approved the program and fee through referenda held in Winter Term 2007.

Once you get your ONEcard (student identification card) you will also need to get your U-Pass sticker.  Locations of where to obtain this sticker will be listed on the U-Pass web site at: http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/u-pass/index.cfm

For the 2009-10 Academic Year, the per semester U-Pass fee will be $81.19.

Health Care

Medical expenses can be extremely high in Canada. You will need medical insurance when you are here.  For students studying at the University of Alberta for less than twelve months, you will be automatically enrolled in the University of Alberta Health Insurance Plan (UAHIP). Participation in this plan is mandatory for students who do not qualify for Alberta Health Care Insurance.

As of September 1, 2009, the cost of UAHIP is $38 per month for single students. The total cost will be calculated based on the number of months you are registered at the University of Alberta and will be added to your fee assessment.

Participation for your dependants (spouse or children) is optional at an additional cost. Contact the International Centre for information.

Supplementary Health and Dental Plan

Students who register full-time in the Fall Term (September) are automatically assessed Supplementary Health and Dental Fees as follows:

Undergraduate students - Approx. $200 for the Students' Union Health and Dental Plan

Graduate Students - Approx. $300 for the Graduate Students' Association Health and Dental Plan

Dental Plan

Enrollment in either program provides you with health benefits and dental coverage for 12 months. Students arriving at other times of the year can add themselves and their families by visiting the site online office upon arrival. If you already have health/dental coverage from another plan, you may opt out of either plan. Deadlines for opting out can be found on the Studentcare website.

For complete information about the University of Alberta GSA and SU Health and Dental plans--including who's covered and who is not — visit the Studentcare Networks link below.