Offered as a two year embedded academic program, the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies is designed to be completed in conjunction with most undergraduate degrees offered by the University of Alberta. Over the course of the program, students should expect to complete a total of 12 course credits, a number of short workshops, a summer stretch experience and a final capstone project.
Are you ready to lead?
The Peter Lougheed Leadership College offers the University of Alberta’s undergraduate students the opportunity to explore the scholarship of leadership through the two-year Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies.
This interdisciplinary degree, officially awarded by the Alberta School of Business, is designed for students entering the upper years of their current degree program. The Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies is awarded in addition to a student’s faculty degree.
Students must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission to the Peter Lougheed Leadership College and the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies:
- Students must be current University of Alberta undergraduate students or transfer students who have been accepted into a degree program. After-degree students will be considered on a case-by-case basis and are only eligible for the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies with the permission of their faculty. Education and Augustana students are currently ineligible for entry into the 2017-19 cohort as per the faculties' decisions.
- Normally have completed a minimum of 45 credits and a maximum of 84 credits toward their current degree, including courses in progress at the time of application. Applicants with fewer than 45 credits or more than 84 credits should contact PLLC before applying. Applications will only be accepted with the faculty permission to participate form.
- While the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Studies GPA requirement is satisfactory academic standing, a competitive GPA to enter PLLC is 3.0.
- Faculty Permission to participate in the program. (Waived for Faculty of Arts students.)
- Leadership Retreat: August 24-26, 2018
- Orientation: Date TBD
Four 3-credit courses
Foundations of Leadership (INT D 301)
Topics in Leadership (INT D 306)
Capstone Leadership Project (INT D 406)
Workshops in Leadership (INT D 407)
All classes are scheduled on Monday evenings from 5:30 pm - 8:20 pm.
We are now accepting applications for the 2018-2020 cohort! With rolling, monthly admission, your application will be considered within weeks of your submission.
Upcoming Intake Cycles:
- Apply by February 4 to have your application reviewed in February.
- Apply by March 4 to have your application reviewed in March.
- Apply by April 1 to have your application reviewed in April.