Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, U. Alberta (2005)
Dipl.-Ing. Mechanical Engineering, U. Hannover, Germany (1999)
Position Summary/ Research Interest:
Dr. Pierre Mertiny has focused his research on advanced polymer composite materials, including material behavior, damage mechanisms, failure prediction and structural health monitoring under multiaxial loadings; nanocomposite materials and adhesively bonded joints. Component fabrication by filament winding is a particular area of expertise.
Of special interest is the filament-winding manufacturing method and its application to the fabrication of components with rotational symmetry.
Research projects primarily involve components for the energy sector, e.g. piping and vessels, energy storage flywheels.
Further information about Dr.Mertiny's research can be found on the Webpages of the Advanced Composite Materials Engineering Group.
- A.B. Oskouyi, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2014). Effect of Temperature on Electrical Resistivity of Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene Nanoplatelets Nanocomposites. ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 5:044501-044501-6.
- S. Ashrafizadeh, P. Mertiny, A. McDonald (2014). Determination of Temperature Distribution within Polyurethane Substrates during Deposition of Flame-sprayed Aluminum-12Silicon Coatings Using Green’s Function Modeling and Experiments. Surface and Coatings Technology, 259:625-636.
- A.B. Oskouyi, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2014). Current-voltage characteristics of nanoplatelet-based conductive nanocomposites. Nanoscale Research Letters, 9:369, 9 p.
- A.B. Oskouyi, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2014). Tunneling conductivity and piezoresistivity of composites containing randomly dispersed conductive nano-platelets. Materials, 7:2501-2521.
- M. Bashar, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2014). Mechanical and mode-I fracture properties of epoxy-clay nanocomposites prepared by ultrasonic dispersion method. International Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, 2:87-92.
- M. Bashar, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2014). Morphology and mechanical properties of nanostructured acrylic tri-block-copolymer modified epoxy. Polymer Engineering and Science, 54:1047-1055.
- M. Bashar, P. Mertiny, U. Sundararaj (2014). Effect of nanocomposite structures on fracture behavior of epoxy-clay nanocomposites prepared by different dispersion methods. Journal of Nanomaterials, 2014:312813.
- R. Hossain, J. Carey, P. Mertiny (2013). Framework for a combined netting analysis and tsai-Wu-based design approach for braided and filament-wound composites. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Transactions of the ASME 135.
- R. Gonzalez, A. McDonald, P. Mertiny (2013). Effect of flame-sprayed Al-12Si coatings on the failure behaviour of pressurized fibre-reinforced composite tubes. Polymer Testing, 32:1522-1528.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Effect of van der Waals forces on the buckling strength of graphene. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 10:2626-2630.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Effect of van der Waals interaction on the mode I fracture characteristics of graphene sheet. Solid State Communications 173:56-60.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Failure mechanism in adhesively bonded FRP pipe sections with different fibre architecture. Composites Part B: Engineering 47:102-106.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Finite element analysis to study the effect of dimensional and geometrical parameters on the stability of graphene sheets. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 10:292-296.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Multiscale model to investigate the effect of graphene on the fracture characteristics of graphene/polymer nanocomposites. Nanoscale Research Letters 7, 2012.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2013). Multiscale model to study of fracture toughening in graphene/polymer nanocomposite. International Journal of Fracture 179:221-228.
- M. Bashar, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2012). Mode-I interlaminar fracture behaviour of nanoparticle modified epoxy/basalt fibre-reinforced laminates. Polymer Testing, doi:10.1016/j.polymertesting.2012.10.012.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2012). Representative volume element to estimate buckling behavior of graphene/polymer nanocomposite. Nanoscale Research Letters, doi:10.1186/1556-276X-7-515.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2012). Study of mode I fracture of graphene sheets using atomistic based finite element modeling and virtual crack closure technique. International Journal of Fracture 176:119-126.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2012). Effect of FRP pipe scaling on its adhesive bonding strength. Journal of Adhesion 88:866-880.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2012). Adhesively bonded composite tubular joints: Review. International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives 38:58-68.
- M. Bashar, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2012). Microstructure and mechanical properties of epoxy hybrid nanocomposites modified with acrylic tri-block-copolymer and layered-silicate nanoclay. Composites Part A 43:945-954.
- P. Mertiny (2011). Leakage failure in fibre-reinforced polymer composite tubular vessels at elevated temperature. Polymer Testing, 31:25-30.
- M. Bashar, U. Sundararaj, P. Mertiny (2011). Study of matrix micro-cracking in nano clay and acrylic tri block-copolymer modified epoxy/basalt fiber-reinforced pressure-retaining structures. eXPRESS Polymer Letters, 5:882-896.
- A.B. Oskouyi, P. Mertiny (2011). Monte Carlo model for the study of percolation thresholds in composites filled with circular conductive nano-disks. Procedia Engineering, 10:403-408.
- Parashar, P. Mertiny (2011). Impact of scaling on fracture strength of adhesively bonded fibre-reinforced polymer piping. Procedia Engineering, 10:455-459.
- M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny (2011). Advanced optimization strategies for cost-sensitive design of energy storage flywheel rotors. Journal of Advanced Materials (SAMPE), 43:65-78.
- M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny (2010). Cost optimization of a hybrid composite flywheel rotor with split-type hub using combined analytical/numerical models. Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, 44:57-73.
- N. Huonnic, M. Abdelghani, P. Mertiny, A. McDonald (2010). Deposition and characterization of flame-sprayed aluminium on cured composite tubes. Surface and Coatings Technology, 205:867-873.
- M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny (2010). Cost optimization of hybrid composite flywheel rotors for energy storage. Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, 41:779 795.
- P. Mertiny, K. Juss, M.M. El Ghareeb (2009). Evaluation of glass and basalt fiber reinforcements for polymer composite pressure piping. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 131:061407-1 061407-6.
- K. Juss, P. Mertiny (2009). Assessment of adhesion between polyurethane liner and epoxy based substrate: Methodology and experiment. Polymer Testing, 28:764–769.
- P. Mertiny, K. Ursinus (2007). A methodology for assessing fatigue degradation of joined fibre-reinforced polymer composite tubes. Polymer Testing, 26:751–760.
- P. Mertiny, A. Gold (2007). Quantification of leakage damage in high-pressure fibre-reinforced polymer composite tubular vessels. Polymer Testing, 26:172-179.
- P. Mertiny, F. Ellyin (2006). Joining of fiber-reinforced polymer tubes for high-pressure applications. Polymer Composites, 27:99-109.
- P. Mertiny, F. Ellyin, A. Hothan (2004). Stacking sequence effect of multi-angle filament wound tubular composite structures. Journal of Composite Materials, 38:1095-1113.
- P. Mertiny, F. Ellyin, A. Hothan (2004). An experimental investigation on the effect of multi-angle filament winding on strength of tubular composite structures. Composite Science & Technology, 64:1-9.
- P. Mertiny, F. Ellyin (2002). Influence of the filament winding tension on physical and mechanical properties of reinforced composites. Composites A, 33:1615-1622.
- 2015 - Summit Award - Excellence in Education, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- 2015 - August-Wilhelm Scheer Visiting Professorship, Technical University Munich
- 2014 - McCalla Professorship, University of Alberta
- 2014 - Guest Professorship at Technical University Munich, Bavarian State Ministry for Education, Culture and Fine Arts
- 2013 - Visiting Professorship, “TUM Teaching Agenda” by Technical University Munich (TUM)
- 2012 - SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award
- 2012 - Best Technical Paper (Manufacturing), COMPOSITES 2012 Conf., Las Vegas, NV
- 2011 & ’09 - Faculty of Engineering Teaching Award (UAlberta Mechanical Engineering)
- 2010 - Annual Award for Excellence in Teaching, UAlberta Mechanical Engineering Club
- 2010 - Best Technical Paper (High Performance), COMPOSITES 2010 Conf., Las Vegas, NV
- 2010 - Keynote Presentation, Polymer Processing Society 26th Annual Meeting, Banff, AB
- 2008 - Best Paper Award, Design & Analysis Committee, ASME PVP 2008 Conf., Chicago, IL