2014-2015 ~ Postdoc., Mechanical Engineering, (Advanced manufacturing and Robotics automation) University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg.
2009-2012 ~ Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (Advanced manufacturing), IRCCyN, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France.
2008-2009 ~ M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering (Knowledge Integration in Mechanical Production and Design), Arts et Métiers ParisTech, Paris, France.
2002-2007 ~ B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, NWFP University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan.
Position Summary/ Research Interest:
Postdoc, PhD and MS positions available! Please contact by email with CV, transcripts and a cover letter. Candidates having a GPA of more than 3.5/4 are highly encouraged to apply.
Dr. Rafiq Ahmad has joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alberta in May 2016. He has established and leading research in the Laboratory of Intelligent Manufacturing, Design and Automation (LIMDA) Click to visit LIMDA.
He is currently serving as a board member (Co-UofA Student Section Advisor) in the International Society of Automation (ISA-Edmonton) and a Local Cahir for ICCMA international conference 2017.
He obtained his Ph.D. and M.S. from Ecole Centrale de Nantes and Ecole Arts et Metiers Paris respectively, in France. He has recently completed his postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Luxembourg.
His research interest in "Design and Manufacturing" bridges the gap between fundamental research and their advanced applications into industry.
His research orientations are divided into three major areas:
Hybrid Manufacturing and Remanufacturing (CNC machining, 3D-Printing, Laser-assisted manufacturing, Reverse Engineering & Hybrid Lean-ERP systems):
Design and development of systems for hybrid and smart manufacturing. This include, hybrid manufacturing i.e. combined additive and subtractive technologies, intelligent manufacturing & control of CNC machining (STEP-NC), 3D Printing (multi-colour, multi-material, freeform surfaces), Intelligent process design for Remanufacturing, Rapid Reconfigurable Manufacturing systems, Micro-machining, Laser 3D Printing and joining, Hybrid Lean-ERP systems optimization and Industry 4.0.
Design for X - DFX (Design for Manufacturing/Remanufacturing/Hybrid manufacturing/Additive manufacturing):
Sustainable design of both product and innovate manufacturing systems to produce it. This include, Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA), Design for Disassembly (DFD), Design for Hybrid Manufacturing (DFHM), Design for Additive Manufacturing (DFAM).
Industrial Automaton (Robotics):
Intelligent system design and development for smart and safe manufacturing. This include, Robot design and prototyping (manipulator and parallel kinematic), intelligent system development for assembly & disassembly (maintenance), mechanical and mechatronics systems design for industry 4.0, vision and knowledge-based systems, path planning, human-robot collaboration (HRC) and multi-pass welding.
Visit my profile on LinkedIn
Please find the updated list on the following link:
Visit my publications on ResearchGate
Visit my publications on Google Scholar
Few selected publications:
- Xu Shen, Fugui Xie, Xin-Jun Liu, Rafiq Ahmad, “An NC Code Based Machining Movement Simulation Method for a Parallel Robotic Machine“ , ICIRA 2017: Intelligent Robotics and Applications, 3-13, 2017.
- Rafiq Ahmad, Stephane Tichadou, Jean-Yves Hascoet, “A Knowledge-based Intelligent Decision system for Production Planning“ , International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, July 2016
- Rafiq Ahmad, Stephane Tichadou, Jean-Yves Hascoet, “Generation of safe and intelligent tool-paths for multi-axis machine-tools in a dynamic 2D virtual environment“ , Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 29(9), 982-995, 2016.
- Rafiq Ahmad, Peter Plapper, “Safe and Automated Assembly Process using Vision assisted Robot Manipulator“ , CIRP Procedia, 48th CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems, (Naples), Italy, 24 - 26 June 2015.
- Rafiq Ahmad, Stephane Tichadou, Jean-Yves Hascoet. “3D Safe and intelligent trajectory generation for multi-axis machine tools using machine vision“ , Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26 (4), pp. 365-385, 2012.
- Rafiq Ahmad, Stephane Tichadou, Jean-Yves Hascoet. “New computer vision based snakes and ladders algorithm for the safe trajectory of two axis CNC machines“ . Computer-Aided Design, 44, 355-366, 2012.
- Rafiq Ahmad, Stephane Tichadou, Jean-Yves Hascoet, “Integration of vision based image processing for multi-axis CNC machine tool safe trajectory generation and collision avoidance“, Journal of Machine Engineering, 10, 2010.
- Received the prestigious NSERC Discovery funding for five-year research project at University of Alberta, Canada.
- Received the highly competitive NSERC RTI funding for research equipment at University of Alberta, Canada.
- Received the highly competitive AFR-FNR funding for two-year research project at FSTC, University of Luxembourg, awarded by the government of Luxembourg.
- Received young researcher’s award travels money to represent Luxembourg at the ESOF EuroScience Open Forum conference 21-26 June 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Received the highly prestigious CNRS + Region Scholarship for PhD studies for three years at IRCCyN, Ecole central de Nantes, France, awarded by the French Government.
- Received Merit Scholarship during engineering programme for high academic performance and participation in extra-curricular activities.
- Served vice-president of Association of Doctoral Students in Ecole Centrale Nantes, France.