- Acceptance does not guarantee funding; applicants requiring financial support must negotiate funding with their supervisor prior to being granted acceptance. Funding varies between students. Part-time students are ineligible for funding, and students on academic probation are ineligible for departmental support.
- Students receive an incremental increase each year, as part of the graduate student collective agreement.
Funding (for eligible students) is typically a combination of:
- Departmental support (basically TA salary)
- Supervisor support (research assistant salary)
- Scholarships and awards
Scholarships and Awards
The Department encourages students to apply for scholarships, fellowships, awards, and grants both internally and externally. For more information about awards, scholarships, loans, and/or bursaries outside of the Faculty of Engineering, visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Scholarship and Awards.
Common sources of scholarships and awards include:
- University internal awards
- Alberta Ingenuity
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada)
- Industry (e.g. IPS)
Students must actively apply for scholarships and awards. These sources of funds are generally very competitive.