Research and related activities within the MARD Centre will result in the expansion of existing tools and techniques and the development of new solutions in six critical areas:
1. Improved identification tools of medically at-risk drivers;
2. Objective, science-based assessment of medically at-risk drivers to determine those who are medically impaired and unsafe to drive;
3. Remediation, where appropriate, that contributes to continued safe driving for as long as safely possible;
4. Promotion and provision of support for medically compromised drivers and their families to assist with the ‘driving to non-driving’ transition;
5. Advancement of the understanding of unmet transportation needs of seniors in rural and urban Alberta; and
6. Development and implementation of alternate transportation for seniors and persons with disabilities in the province.