All students and residents participating in global health field station and non-field station electives, European electives (U of A Electives Catalogues), IFMSA electives, any electives taken through a CACMS or non-CACMS or LCME or non-LCME accredited institution, or electives students have arranged themselves must work with the Global Health Office to ensure they are adequately prepared for their elective in accordance with the U of A’s electives and travel policies and the policies of the FoMD.
Some of the responsibilities of the Global Health Office are:
- Promotes global health events by organizing the annual Global Health Fair, Global Health Rounds, in-class presentations, presentations by past participants and post-elective debrief sessions
- Develops and stewards relationships with institutions in LMICs, many of which offer opportunities for placements for FoMD learners
- Recruits faculty to the field station liaison group
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Global Health and faculty leads to ensure successful electives
- Registers students and ensures they have completed their checklist prior to departure
- Organizes the 12 Hour Global Health elective which is a per-requisite for all students attending field stations through the Global Health office. For more information go here.
- Liaises with UME and PGME to support learners in determining a good fit for their international experience and to guide learners through the process to meet the requirements of UofA and FoMD policies for international electives.
Global Health Office:
Dr. Dominic Allain, Director, Global Health, email@example.com
Patricia Grell, Reception/Admin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Brown, Division Administrator, email@example.com
24 hour Emergency Contact/UAlberta Protective Services: 780-492-5050