The Office of Rural & Regional Health understands the challenge that rural areas face when recruiting physicians. In recognition of this, residents are encouraged to partake in rural rotations that will expose them to the challenges and rewards of rural health care.
Resident rotations build upon residents’ knowledge of rural health care established during their University of Alberta medical-school education. They may complete their rotation at any approved site across Alberta.
Residents can complete specialty rotations in rural or regional Alberta in:
Residents who are participating in rural rotations must complete an evaluation form at the end of their rotation. The form must be filled out and submitted within 90 days from the last day onsite.
- Minimum 8 weeks’ notice to change or cancel a core rural/regional rotation.
- Minimum 8 weeks’ notice to request an elective rural/regional rotation.
- Minimum 8 weeks’ notice to change or cancel an elective rural/regional rotation.
- Maximum to submit required evaluations 90 days after rural/regional rotation.
- Maximum 90 days to apply for reimbursement and submit receipts after rural/regional rotation.