To encourage and assists students in their pursuit of a career in rural medicine.
Objectives and Services
- Promote rural medicine to all University of Alberta medical students.
- Inform students about training opportunities that pertain to rural medicine.
- Outline the rural lifestyle, along with the advantages and disadvantages of working in a rural setting.
- Act as a bridge between all medical students and rural administrations including:
- University of Alberta Office of Rural & Regional Health
- Alberta Medical Association Section of Rural Medicine
- Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan,
- Society of Rural Physicians of Canada and
- Northern Alberta Development Council
- Inform students of rural bursaries and awards.
- Organize lunch-hour and after-school discussions on various subjects.
- Help plan clinical Skills Days (collaboration with the RPAP) as a way to introduce students to various medical skills, including rural medicine.
- Keep students informed about applicable rural programs and rural policies.
- Produce an annual report showcasing that year’s activities
2007/2008 Annual RMIG Final Report