Shirley Schipper, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Shirley Schipper completed her medical education and family medicine residency program at the University of Alberta. Her appointment comes as an addition to her work as an associate professor with the Department of Family Medicine, where she has successfully held several administration and leadership positions, including Director of Postgraduate Medical Education and Director of Assessment.
Dr. Schipper practices as a family physician at Grey Nuns Family Medicine Centre and served there as Academic and Medical Director for more than 15 years.
Nationally, Dr. Schipper is currently the Secretary Treasurer and Board Director of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC). She has worked with both the CFPC and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada on topics of education, assessment, certification and accreditation. She was an Accreditation Survey Chair and a member of the Residency Accreditation committee for the CFPC.
Dr. Schipper’s areas of interest and expertise include national and international curriculum and program development, competency-based education and assessment, teaching and learning strategies and faculty coaching.
Role of Vice-Dean, Education
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the dean and faculty on educational matters.
- Provide leadership and supervision to ensure that the education obligations of the faculty are met in an effective and efficient manner.
- Administer student disputes and appeals.
- Represent the dean in his/her absence as delegated.
- Faculty Learning Committee
- Committee of Associate Deans, Education
- Voting member:
- Dean's Executive Committee
- Executive Chairs' Committee
- Information Management Steering Committee
- Faculty Space Committee
- Supervise the co-ordination and delivery of the education portfolio of the faculty.
- Develop a resource plan (staffing, financial and infrastructure) to carry out the teaching and education functions of the faculty.
- Maintain education accreditation standards in all programs.
- Ensure effective co-ordination among the numerous partners in the delivery of education services.
- Establish a vibrant medical education research program.
- Establish a learning resource/education support centre.
- Represent the education mission on the Faculty Executive and Faculty Management Committees.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the performance and assessment criteria for the assistant and associate deans with major education portfolios.
- Direct all processes for academic appeals and practicum intervention appeals.