Fraser Brenneis, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Fraser Brenneis received his medical degree from the University of Alberta in 1982. He completed his residency training in family medicine with certification of the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 1984, and became a fellow of the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 2000.
Brenneis joined the University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry as a clinical lecturer in 1987, and became an associate professor in 1997. He has practiced at Edmonton's Royal Alexandra Hospital since 1984, and also bases his clinical teaching in family medicine at the Royal Alex. Brenneis was the director of undergraduate medical education in the faculty’s Department of Family Medicine for 12 years.
Brenneis has a national profile in medical education. He served as the chair of the Section of Teachers of the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and in 2005 chaired the Task Force on Undergraduate Education renewal for the College of Family Medicine of Canada.
Brenneis has held several other administrative positions in the faculty. He chaired the Residency Transfer Committee for five years, and was the director of the Integrated Community Clerkship program in 2007–2008. His research area of interest is student career choice.
Role of Vice-Dean, Education
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the dean and faculty on educational matters.
- Provide leadership and supervision to ensure that the education obligations of the faculty are met in an effective and efficient manner.
- Administer student disputes and appeals.
- Represent the dean in his/her absence as delegated.
- Faculty Learning Committee
- Committee of Associate Deans, Education
- Voting member:
- Dean's Executive Committee
- Faculty Strategy Committee
- Supervise the co-ordination and delivery of the education portfolio of the faculty.
- Develop a resource plan (staffing, financial and infrastructure) to carry out the teaching and education functions of the faculty.
- Maintain education accreditation standards in all programs.
- Ensure effective co-ordination among the numerous partners in the delivery of education services.
- Establish a vibrant medical education research program.
- Establish a learning resource/education support centre.
- Represent the education mission on the Faculty Executive and Faculty Management Committees.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the performance and assessment criteria for the assistant and associate deans with major education portfolios.
- Direct all processes for academic appeals and practicum intervention appeals.