Fraser Brenneis, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Dr. Fraser Brenneis received his medical degree from the University of Alberta in 1982. He completed his residency training in family medicine with Certification of the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 1984 and became a Fellow of the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 2000.
Dr. Brenneis joined the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry as a clinical lecturer in 1987 and became an associate professor in 1997. He practiced at Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital (RAH) from 1984-2017 and now bases his clinical teaching in family medicine at the MacEwan University Health Centre.
He has a national profile in medical education. He served as the Chair of the Section of Teachers of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and, in 2005, chaired the Task Force on Undergraduate Education renewal for the College of Family Medicine of Canada.
Dr. Brenneis served as Vice-Dean, Education from 2009 to 2017. Other senior administrative positions he has held in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry include Senior Associate Dean, Education, Chair of the Residency Transfer Committee, Director of the Integrated Community Clerkship program, and Director of Undergraduate Medical Education in the Department of Family Medicine for 12 years.
Role of Vice-Dean, Faculty Affairs
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the dean and faculty on academic issues.
- Act as the faculty's lead for the development and implementation of Academic Alternative Relationship Plans (AARPs).
- Oversee the development and maintenance of faculty committees.
- Co-ordinate FoMD search-and-selection processes.
- Foster the development of academic leadership.
- Co-ordinate selected reviews, representing the dean as delegated.
- Represent the dean in his/her absence as delegated.
- Administer FoMD Faculty Council meetings.
- FoMD Nominating Committee
- FoMD Space Committee
- Faculty Affairs Committee
- Voting member:
- Dean's Executive Committee
- Chairs' Executive Committee
- Chairs' Committee
- Information Management Steering Committee
- Non-voting member:
- Faculty Evaluation Committee
- Alternate for the dean for:
- Zone Medical Advisory Council
- Alberta Medical Association Representative Forum
- Mediate academic grievances and disputes.
- Faculty representative for:
- Alberta Medical Association Advisory Committee on Academic Medicine
- Edmonton Clinic South Steering Committee
- AHS manpower planning
- UAH space committee