Dennis Kunimoto, MD FRCP(C)
Dennis Kunimoto graduated from the University of Alberta medical school in 1980. He undertook a residency in internal medicine at the University of Alberta and subspecialty training in infectious diseases at the University of Manitoba. This was followed by three years of research training at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., in the areas of immunology and molecular biology.
Since joining the faculty’s Division of Infectious Diseases in the Department of Medicine in 1988, Kunimoto has served in numerous leadership and administrative roles. He has either led or had membership on committees involved in many different aspects of clinical service, medical education, research and administration for the faculty, the university and the University of Alberta Hospital.
He has performed committee work related to infection control, information management and electronic medical records, academic evaluation and appeals and residency training, among other things.
Kunimoto has served as the acting chair of the Department of Medicine, and most recently, as associate chair, academic, in the department. On the clinical side, he has been medical director of the Edmonton TB Clinic since 1999.
Kunimoto’s research interests centre on the immunology and molecular biology of mycobacteria. His clinical interests include tuberculosis, hepatitis C and HIV.
He sits on committees for tuberculosis at the provincial and national level, and is on the executive of the Alberta Medical Association’s infectious diseases section and the Alberta Society for Infectious Diseases.
Role of Vice-Dean, Faculty Affairs
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the dean and faculty on academic issues.
- Act as the faculty's lead for the development and implementation of Academic Alternative Relationship Plans (AARPs).
- Oversee the development and maintenance of faculty committees.
- Co-ordinate FoMD search-and-selection processes.
- Foster the development of academic leadership.
- Co-ordinate selected reviews, representing the dean as delegated.
- Represent the dean in his/her absence as delegated.
- Administer FoMD Faculty Council meetings.
- FoMD Nominating Committee
- FoMD Space Committee
- Faculty Affairs Committee
- Voting member:
- Dean's Executive Committee
- Faculty Strategy Committee
- Chairs Committee
- Non-voting member:
- Faculty Evaluation Committee
- Alternate for the dean for:
- Zone Medical Advisory Council
- Alberta Medical Association Representative Forum
- Mediate academic grievances and disputes.
- Faculty representative for:
- Alberta Medical Association Advisory Committee on Academic Medicine
- Edmonton Clinic South Steering Committee
- AHS manpower planning
- UAH space committee