Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon specializing in conditions affecting the extremities including injuries of the hand and wrist, peripheral nerves as well as reconstructive microsurgery.
Passionate champion of Connect Care
Current Research Projects:
1. Use of Machine Learning for the Detection of Scaphoid Fractures in Alberta
2. The Utility of Plain Radiography in Tendon Lacerations of the Hand
3. Buddy strapping versus splinting of proximal interphalangeal hyperextension injuries
extremity salvage, hand surgery, lower extremity reconstruction, microsurgery, peripheral nerve injury, wrist surgery
Administrative Assistant: Kelly
- Power HA, Sharma K, El Haj M, Moore AM, Patterson MM, Mackinnon SE. Compound muscle action potential amplitude predicts the severity of cubital tunnel syndrome. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2019; 101: 730-738.
- Power HA, Morhart MJ, Olson JL, Chan KM. Post-surgical electrical stimulation enhances recovery following surgery for severe cubital tunnel syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Neurosurgery, 2019 Aug 20; in press.doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyz322
- Power HA, Kahn LC, Patterson MM, Moore AM, Yee A, Mackinnon SE. Refining indications for the supercharge end-to-side anterior interosseous to ulnar motor nerve transfer in cubital tunnel syndrome. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019; in press.
- Grant DW*, Power HA*, Vuong LN, McInnes CW, Santosa KB, Waljee JF, Mackinnon SE. Differences in opioid prescribing practices among plastic surgery trainees in the United States and Canada. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019; 144: 126-136. *co-first authors
- Abdelfattah U, Power HA, Song SY, Min KH, Suh HS, Hong JP. Algorithm for free perforator flap selection in lower extremity reconstruction based on 563 cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2019; 144(5): 1202-1213.
- Power HA, Fox IK, Kahn LC, Mackinnon SE. Restoration of sensation and thumb opposition using nerve transfers following resection of a synovial sarcoma of the median nerve. Journal of Hand Surgery Global Online, 2019; 1: 185-189.
- Curran MWT, Power HA, Chan KM, Morhart MJ. The Triceps Traction Test: A Decision Tool for the Choice of Stabilizing Flap After In Situ Decompression of the Ulnar Nerve. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. 2019 Nov 19, in press. doi: 10.1097/BTH.0000000000000275s
- Song SY, Jeong HH, Lee YH, Power HA, Suh YC, Christoffi P, Hong JP. Direction of flap rotation in propeller flaps – does it really matter? Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2019 May 10; in press. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1688408
- Felder J, Hill E, Power HA, Hasak J, Mackinnon SE. Cross-palm nerve grafts to enhance sensory recovery in severe ulnar neuropathy. Hand, 2019 Jan 24; in press. doi: 10.1177/1558944718822851
- Elbanoby T, Aly GM, Abdelfattah U, Choi JW, Power HA, Abd El Fattah YA. Bone transport distraction osteogenesis in the reconstruction of pediatric post-traumatic calvarial defects: Idea and innovation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open, 2019; 7: 2201.
- O’Grady K, Power HA, Olson JL, Morhart MJ, Harrop AR, Watt MJ, and Chan KM. Comparison of triple nerve transfer and nerve grafting for reconstruction of upper trunk obstetrical brachial plexus injuries. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2017; 140: 747-756.
- Canadian Plastic Surgery Research Collaborative. Barriers and attitudes to research among residents in plastic and reconstructive surgery: a national multicenter cross-sectional study. Journal of Surgical Education, 2017; 74: 1094-1104.
- Chan KM, Gordon T, Zochodne DW, and Power H. Improving peripheral nerve regeneration: from molecular mechanisms to potential therapeutic targets. Experimental Neurology, 2014; 261: 826-35.
- Norton JA, Power HA, and Chan KM. Modifying the excitability of motor cortex with direct current stimulation. Physiology News, 2008; 70: 28-30.
- Power HA, Norton JA, Porter CL, Doyle Z, Hui I, and Chan KM. Transcranial direct current stimulation of the primary motor cortex affects cortical drive to human musculature as assessed by intermuscular coherence. Journal of Physiology, 2006; 577: 795-803.
Injuries of the hand and wrist
Peripheral nerve reconstruction
- University of Alberta