Dr. Chen received his MD degree at the University of British Columbia. Training in Internal Medicine and subspecialty training in Infectious Diseases followed at the University of Alberta. He has been on staff at the University of Alberta Hospital, first, as a locum in 2016 and currently as clinical faculty with an appointment of Clinical Lecturer since September 2017.
In 2018, Dr. Chen established the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program for the University of Alberta Hospital as the Site Medical Director. He is the site representative in the Edmonton Zone Antimicrobial Stewardship Working Group and the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program representative at the Walter Mackenzie Centre Site Quality Leadership Committee.
1. Chen, J. Z., Gratrix, J., Brandley, J., Smyczek, P., Parker, P., Read, R., Singh, A. E. Gonococcal and chlamydial cases of pelvic inflammatory disease at two Canadian sexually transmitted infection clinics, 2004-2014: A retrospective cross-sectional review. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2017; 45(4): 280-282.
2. Chen, J. Z., Gratrix, J., Brandley, J., Smyczek, P., Parker, P., Read, R., Singh, A. E. Retrospective review of gonococcal and chlamydial cases of epididymitis at 2 Canadian sexually transmitted infection clinics, 2004-2014. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2017; 44(6): 359-361.
3. Lachance, P., Chen, J., Featherstone, R., Sligl, W. Association between cytomegalovirus reactivation and clinical outcomes in immunocompetent critically ill patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 2017; 4(2): ofx029.
4. Nickel, M., Rideout, W., Shah, N., Reintjes, F., Chen, J. Z., Burrell, R., Pauly, R. P. Estimating patient-borne water and electricity costs in home hemodialysis: A simulation. CMAJ Open. 2017; 5(1): E61-E65.
5. Berenger, B., Chen, J., Bernier, A. M., Bernard, K. Draft whole-genome sequence of a catalase-negative staphylococcus aureus subsp. aureus (sequence type 25) strain isolated from a patient with endocarditis and septic arthritis. Genome Announcements. 2016; 4(6): e0144216.
6. Bukhari, A., Chen, J., Joffe, A. M., Chiu, I. A painful leg lump. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016; 63(10): 1388-1390.
7. Lachance, P., Chen, J., Featherstone, R., Sligl, W. Impact of cytomegalovirus reactivation on clinical outcomes in immunocompetent critically ill patients: Protocol for a systemic review and meta-analysis. Systematic Reviews. 2016; 5(1): 158-159.
8. Chen, J. Z., Jamieson, D. H., Skarsgard, E. D. Does pre-biopsy contrast enema delay the diagnosis of long segment Hirschsprung’s disease? European Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2010; 20(6): 375-378.