Dr. Michael Smylie is currently appointed as Professor in the Division of Medical Oncology in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
Melanoma and Lung Cancers
- Site Leader – Clinical Trials Committee – Cross Cancer Institute NCIC Melanoma Group Leader and very active in designing and participating in malignant melanoma.
- Targeted therapy and new drug development in metastatic melanoma.
- He has chaired several National Melanoma Meetings and organized the past three National Melanoma Conferences in Canada.
- Chair – Mary Johnston Professorship in Melanoma Research – 2006-2007. This is a $1,000,000 donation from the Mary Johnston family and the Alberta Government through their endowment fund has guaranteed to match this contribution dollar for dollar. In recognition of this patient and her family, Cross Cancer Institute has created the endowed Mary Johnston Professorship in melanoma research. In October of 2007, Dr. Alan Underhill, Department of Medical Genetics of the University of Alberta took over the Chair Position of this Professorship. Dr. Underhill and Dr. Smylie are keen in objectives in basic research to identify targets in melanoma. This is the first research in this field in Canada.
Cross Cancer Institute Regional Investigator-initiated Trial (IIT) Competition UNSCARRed: Unresectable Squamous Cell Carcinoma treated with Avelumab and Radical Radiation Therapy
- Funding Source: Alberta Cancer Foundation
- Year Granted: 2018
- Research Role: Co-Principal Investigator