Dr. Monica Prasad Gibson received her BDS degree in India and completed her PhD as well as her post-doctoral training in Biomedical Sciences at Texas A and M Health Sciences Center, Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. She also completed her Periodontics residency and Master’s in Science from The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. She recently won the American Academy of Periodontology Scholarship awarded by Straumann at the 2017 AAP annual meeting. She was awarded the Pauline C. Wittwer Graduate fellowship in Dentistry at the Ohio State University College of Dentistry. She was also the finalist at the Midwest society of Periodontology research competition, Chicago. Dr. Gibson has served as a Periodontics faculty in Yerala Dental College, Mumbai, India. She has published several articles and has given presentations on bone and dentin mineralization process. She has also contributed to book chapters and journal cover features.
DENT 570: Fundamentals of Periodontology - Graduate Periodontology Course Coordinator
DENT 571: Fundamental of Implantology - Graduate Periodontology Course Coordinator
DENT 572: Current concepts in Periodontology - Graduate Periodontology Course Coordinator
ResearchDr. Gibson’s research is focused on a member of non-collagenous proteins, dentin sialophosphoprotein (DSPP). DSPP is an extracellular matrix protein that plays a vital role in the formation and mineralization of dentin and supporting periodontal tissues. DSPP is a large protein that undergoes proteolytic processing to form the NH2-terminal fragment [dentin sialoprotein (DSP) and its proteoglycan form (DSP-PG)] and COOH-terminal fragment [dentin phosphoprotein (DPP)]. The importance of DSPP in dentinogenesis is supported by experiments showing association of mutations in the DSPP gene with human dentinogenesis imperfecta. While studies have demonstrated the critical role of DSPP in dentin formation, mechanisms by which DSPP functions in biomineralization remained largely unclear. Dr. Gibson’s research has been a comprehensive effort to outline the function of this protein and its cleaved fragments. She presented this work as a finalist at the American Association of Dental Research (AADR) Hatton awards. Additionally, during the course of her research, she have been able to create a successful animal model to replicate periodontitis disease process.
Dentin sialophosphoprotein, DSPP, mineralization, Periodontitis, misdiagnosis, classification
Dr. Nancy Abdelhay
Dr. Sandeep Dab
Dr. Amirsalar Mofidi
Mr. Seongju (Andy) Kim
- Fellow, Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Diplomate, American board of Periodontology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Biomedical Science
- Master of Science (MSc) Periodontics
- General Practice Residency (GPR)
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
Awards & Honours
- American Academy of Periodontology Scholarship awarded by Straumann
- Pauline C. Wittwer Graduate Fellowship in Dentistry Award
- Finalist in the Midwest Society of Periodontology Research Competition
- Finalist in the American Association of Dental Research Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Hatton Awards Competition
- Certificate of Excellence awarded in the State of Karnataka in Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics
Book Contributions & Cover Features
- Back-scattered scanning electron microscopy imaging for chapter Dentin. In: McCauley LK andSomerman, MJ eds. Mineralized Tissues in Oral and Craniofacial Science: Biological Principles and
Clinical Correlates. Wiley-Blackwell (John Wiley & Sons), p.138, 2012.
- Journal of Oral Bioscience Volume 57; Issue 1: featuring Gibson MP et al. J Oral Bio 2014; 56(4): Figures 1C and 5A
Students’ approach to the formulation of a diagnosis and treatment plan during their periodontal training: Examining the effect of didactic and clinical experiences from a mixed methods perspective.
- Funding Source: University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- Year Granted: 2017
- Research Role: Principal Investigator