Procedure for Scheduling a Core Rotation
Once students have chosen an approved site, they should follow these steps to schedule their rotation:
- After receiving site availability, complete a Schedule for Learners. Forward it to the Office of Rural & Regional Health.
- Immediately notify the ORRH in writing of any changes to the schedule after it has been received by the ORRH. Detailed procedures to change or cancel a core rotation are listed below.
- Contact the appropriate program administrator to advise them of an interest in undertaking a rural core in a specialty rotation (ie. family medicine, general surgery, internal medicine, pediatrics).
- The ORRH will notify the appropriate contacts (preceptor, site contact, accommodation co-ordinator) of the scheduled rotations twice:
- A notice of all rotations for the academic year is sent before the academic year begins; and
- A reminder is sent seven weeks prior to the start of the individual rotation.
- Following the rotation, students are required to complete evaluations of the rotation, the preceptor, the site and the accommodation. Financial reimbursements will not be considered unless evaluations have been submitted.
- Application for financial reimbursement must be made a maximum of 90 days from the last day of the rotation. Reimbursements will not be considered after this period. Forms are available online and need to be submitted with original receipts (where applicable) to the ORRH for approval and processing.
Procedure to Change or Cancel a Core Rotation
- All changes or cancellations of rural rotations must be approved by the associate dean of Student Affairs (UME).
- Only changes approved in writing by the associate dean of Student Affairs (UME) will be considered.
- All notices of a change or cancellation must be made in writing.
- Medical students must provide their written notice to the ORRH at least eight weeks prior to the scheduled start date.
- ORRH will notify all parties involved if there is a change to the rotation.