Department of Oncology

Arrival and Living in Edmonton

The City of Edmonton is the capital of the province of Alberta and the sixth largest city in Canada. Edmonton has a metropolitan population of more than one million and offers all the services of a major city while maintaining a friendly, clean and safe family-oriented environment for study.
There are ample places to park on-campus; however, you may want to consider carpooling, biking or public transit. The Graduate Student's Association offers the U-Pass for students. U-Pass (a group discount program that lowers the cost of transit for University of Alberta students.  This is a mandatory fee each fall and winter term.
The U-Pass sticker will be affixed to your One Card at the time of issue.
Students are responsible for obtaining their own housing while studying at the University of Alberta. Your choice of housing will depend on personal preference, cost and availability.
You may choose to live on-campus in a University residence or off-campus in private accommodations. Be sure to carefully review the details of any contract before signing.

Useful Links:
As an international student, there are number of documents you need to study in Canada. You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and obeying immigration regulations while you're here.
Be sure to confirm the following for off-campus housing before making a decision:
  • How much will utilities cost in addition to rent?
  • How long will it take me to commute to campus?
  • What public transportation is available?
  • What security measures exist for this unit?  
Accommodations for your first few nights…
Unless you have made arrangements with Residence Services to move into your University housing the same day you arrive, you will need to make arrangements for temporary accommodations for the first few days of your stay. Below are the most popular choices.