The Division of Cardiac Surgery offers fellowship training programs in three cardiac subspecialty areas.
- Adult Cardiac Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Transplantation
The goal of the fellowships is to provide a comprehensive, multidisciplinary
training to individuals committed to a career in adult cardiac surgery.
The fellowship training will provide a broad exposure to the full range of
clinical problems encountered in a tertiary full-volume cardiac surgery practice.
Fundamental Components of Fellowships
The fellow must participate in the following:
- evaluation, management, operation and post operative care of a minimum of 200 cardiac surgical cases
- call duties with the other cardiac surgery residents as well as care of patients in the cardiac surgery intensive care
- intensive exposure to the interdisciplinary management of cardiac surgical patients
- development an implementation of cardiac surgical research
- cardiology/cardiac surgery conferences, academic half day sessions and the journal club
These fellowships have appointment of 12 months. All interested in pursuing a fellowship
at the University of Alberta should provide a current CV, three letters of reference and
a letter of interest, specifying which fellowship you are pursuing and your motivations.