Clinical – U of A students
Applications for undergraduate clinical electives can be found on the Undergraduate Medical Education website
. Once this form is completed, please return it to our office:
Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education
Department of Surgery
Room 237-5 CSC, Royal Alexandra Hospital
Pre-clinical U of A students
The Undergraduate Office of Surgical Education will assist in providing contact information for surgeons in order to arrange hours for the 12 hour electives associated with MED517 in Year 1 and MED527 in Year 2. We will also put you in touch with the OR Nurse Educator at the UAH in order for you to have an orientation to the OR prior to your elective experience.
Please direct any inquiries to:
Specialty Surgery Electives: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Surgery Electives: email@example.com
Directions for the student:
- Fill out the appropriate elective request form (year 1 or year 2) and send it to the Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education, with all site, preceptor, and specialty requests.
- The Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education will contact the corresponding preceptor to see if they are available to take a 12 hour elective student.
- If available, a form is faxed to the preceptor's office to be signed and then returned to the Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education.
- The Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education will give the student the preceptor's contact information to arrange the elective time that suits them best.
Electives are NOT to be scheduled during any scheduled sessions. It is the student’s responsibility to have an assessment form filled in by each of their preceptors. They must send this form to the Undergraduate Medical Education Office when completed.
- It is the student’s responsibility to have an assessment form filled in by each of their preceptors. They must send this form to the Office of Undergraduate Surgical Education when it is completed.
- Once both the application for elective form and the assessment form has been submitted, they are sent to Undergraduate Medical Education so that the student can receive credit.
- The student’s name must be entered into a spreadsheet along with the preceptor in order to track how many students each preceptor worked with.
Visiting Medical Student Electives
Please contact visiting electives at firstname.lastname@example.org.