In 2011, the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) introduced a new professional development opportunity, the Teaching Scholars Program (TSP). Over the past seven years, Dr. Carol Hodgson has directed the program and offered numerous TSP courses with colleagues. During that time, there have been approximately 110 participants in one or more of the TSP courses.
Courses for 2018 / 2019
Courses are generally held on the U of A campus in ECHA 2-590 (across from the second-floor cafe)
- TSP 007 Fostering a Humanistic Approach to Clinical Teaching (Inter-professional, Mixed-learner Level), Oct. 25 - Dec. 13, 2018, Thursdays, 5:00-7:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 8 weeks, 16 hours in total.
- TSP 006 Introduction to Health Professions Educational Qualitative Research, Sept. 18 –Dec. 4, 2018, Tuesdays, 3:00-5:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 12 weeks, 24 hours in total.
- TSP 008 Writing for Success – Writing to Publish, Nov. 8 – Dec. 13, 2018, Thursdays, 1:00 – 3:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 6 weeks, 12 hours in total.
- TSP 005 Introduction to Quantitative Health Professions Educational Research, Jan 10 – March 28, 2019, Thursdays, 3:00-5:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 12 weeks, 24 hours in total.
- TSP 002 Improving Didactic Teaching Skills, Feb.18- March 11, 2019, Mondays, 3:00-5:00, 1 session/week, 2 h sessions x 5 weeks, 10 hours in total.
- TSP 001 Introduction to Health Professions Theory & Practice, April 4 – June 20, 2019. Thursdays, 3:00-5:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 12 weeks, 24 hours in total.
- TSP 003 Introduction to Assessment, April 3– June 17, 2019. Wednesdays, 3:00-5:00 pm, 1 session/week, 2h sessions x 10 weeks, 20 hours in total.
Please email the IDEAS Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about the courses and any requirements or pre-requisites.
New FoMD Non-credit Certificate: Teaching Scholar Program (TSP) Health Professions Educational Research
The TSP Health Professions Educational Research Certificate will be offered after the completion of three TSP courses: TSP 001 (required) and two of the following: TSP 005, TSP 006, or TSP 009. Participants are required to register for the certificate program. The registration form can be downloaded here. Once registered, they can enroll in courses. For registrants, there will be a non-refundable $150/course fee for each course. Courses can be audited for free, but if the participant wishes to later apply for the certificate based on completion of the courses, they will have to pay a one-time fee of $750 for the certificate and pay $150 /course for any course beyond three. If someone has already completed the TSP 001 course or has a master’s degree in medical or health sciences education, they can apply that to the certificate requirement and will be only required to complete two of the research courses.
In the future, we will be offering FoMD non-credit certificates for completing different combinations of the TSP courses. There will be a small fee associated with certificate programs (cost will vary for residents / fellows and faculty / staff).
Possible TSP certificates will be:
- Health Professions Teaching Certificate - E.g., three (3) of the following courses: TSP 001, TSP 002, TSP 003 or TSP 007.
- Using Simulation for Teaching & Assessment - E.g., completion of TSP 001 and TSP 010.