What Can You Gain From This Program?
- Academic medicine is highly regarded, but clinician-researchers are rare. The "MD (With Special Training In Research)" designation will formally recognize your introduction to basic or clinical research. This experience may "whet your appetite," encouraging you to pursue an academic career with a research component following completion of your medical degree.
- Involvement in a good research environment will improve your lateral thinking and clarity of reasoning and, thus, improve your critical abilities.
- Completion of the program and its listing on your curriculum vitae may or may not strengthen your application for an internship or residency position.
For further information, please contact Nicole Kosturic at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-492-8365 or Dr. Ing Swie Goping, chair of the MD with STIR program, at email@example.com.
How is this Special Training in Research Recognized?
Successful completion of the program results in the notation, “MD (With Special Training In Research)” appearing on your U of A transcript and medical diploma.
A large, but not unlimited, number of summer studentships are available to provide personal support for the summers during the fulfllment of the research requirements. Visit the Undergraduate Summer Student Research Program page for further information.
It is imperative for students to discuss financing with their supervisors prior to applying to the program. Students must be aware whether or not their supervisor will provide financial support if their funding applications are unsuccessful.
Students are admitted into the program based on their proposed project and supervisor. Other than minor changes to the project itself, students are not allowed to switch the project or supervisor after they are formally admitted, unless the chair approves such changes.
For further information, please contact Nicole Kosturic at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-492-8365 or Dr. Ing Swie Goping, chair of the MD with STIR program, at email@example.com
Click here to view the November 7, 2016 presentation by Dr.Ing Swie Goping
- Application Requirements
- Research Requirements
- Final Report Requirements
- Final Oral Presentation Requirement