Hello friends, as University of Alberta students we have access to MANY resources outside of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry. Please take some time to acknowledge the supports available:
For a great overview of some of the resources available, check out the Health and Wellness Supports for University of Alberta students.
This includes links to:
Mental Health Resources
Support for Gender and Sexual Diversity. 'The Landing'
Sexual Assault Resources
Fitness and Wellbeing
and everything else, including...
The University of Alberta Counselling and Clinical Services provides a number of services. Two examples that may be valuable for medical students are:
1) Therapy Groups (Anxiety, CBT, Perfectionism, and Social Anxiety groups)
2) Free Drop-In Mental Health Workshops There are a number of free drop-in mental health workshops made available through the University of Alberta Counselling & Clinical Services. Note the schedule of 'Upcoming Workshops' on the right-hand side of the linked webpage.
- Addressing Anxious Thoughts
- Facing Fears & Gaining Control
- Impostor Syndrome
- Learning to Relax
- Managing Perfectionism
Mood & Wellness
- Cultivating Self-Compassion
- Happiness: Moving to Wellness
- Managing Stress
- Positive Body Image
- Setting Boundaries & Communicating Assertively
- Understanding Depression & Addressing Unhelpful Thinking Patterns
- Introduction to Mindfulness
- Yoga for Mental Hygiene
- Yoga for Peace of Mind
Note, yoga is drop-in on Mondays and Wednesdays.
The Community Social Work Team also offers workshops:
How to Have a Supportive Conversation
Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)—is a certified suicide prevention training program that provides community education and engagement in addressing suicide. It is a gatekeeper training that teaches faculty, staff, and students the skills to recognize and support people who may be having thoughts of suicide.
We all need to eat. If you live on or near campus and need help getting to a grocery store there are a few options.
The 'Campus Bus' which picks students up outside of HUB Mall, drops you off at some of the major grocery stores and returns you to campus.
Note, there is also the Medical Students Carpool Groceries Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2469804129916729/