On October 6, 2010 the Faculty Management Committee approved the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry IT Service Standardization initiative with the following objectives:
- To provide standardized and cost-effective computer services
- To expand standardized services across the entire Faculty (from the existing 1500 users to 3500). This includes the provision of virtual desktops to all clinical academic colleagues.
- To improve service response time
- To promote a fair and transparent cost recovery model
- To improve security through standardization
- Departments fund department standards
- Divisions fund division standards
- Non-standard devices are available to individuals and supported for a service fee.
To better serve you, we continually update our support mechanisms and standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does this impact my department, Faculty division or departmental division?
- Departments/Faculty divisions/departmental divisions will have the option to access standardized administrative IT services for all faculty members, administrators and support staff.
- All clinical part-time staff will be provided with a virtual desktop with access to FoMD standardized IT services.
Is this going to cost me more?
- The Faculty IT service standards are funded primarily by the Dean's Office.
- If a Department/Faculty division/departmental division does not require any additional IT services above the Faculty standards, then there is no extra cost other than the actual IT infrastructure (PC, laptop, etc).
How does a department, Faculty division or departmental division ensure their unique needs are accommodated?
- Faculty standards are meant to provide a set of common standards. Departments or Faculty divisions are able to acquire additional IT support by arranging department-specific standards through a Service Level Agreement with MedIT. The same applies to departmental divisions.
How do we handle FoMD members on AHS computers?
- AHS computers will continue to be maintained by AHS. FoMD members using AHS computers will have access to other Faculty standardized core services such as FoMD email storage, server file storage, etc.
What happens if I have a Faculty-owned computer on the AHS network?
- Faculty-owned computers which comply with Faculty IT standards can access MedIT for support.
- Computers on FoMD network can access AHS network, and vice-versa through the trusted network.
When is this going to take effect?
- The IT Service Standardization policy came into full effect on July 31, 2011.