MedIT offers managed virtual servers as an alternative to managing your own physical servers. This service hosts multiple virtual servers, each of which functions as a complete and independent server, on a single physical server. Virtual server hosting is a fee-based service available to faculty and staff.
Industry leading technology, such as VMware vSphere, ensures your unique needs are supported.
- Virtual servers pre-configured by MedIT are much faster than a physical server.
- Virtual servers can be moved from one physical server to another with no downtime.
- Virtual servers are less expensive over time than purchasing and managing your own physical server.
- A virtual server fee-for-service allows uncomplicated budgeting and start-up.
- Virtual servers use less power and cooling, enabling better hardware use.
- Virtual servers support University of Alberta sustainability efforts.
- Virtual servers are hosted in a secure facility and managed by trained MedIT staff, so overall data security risk is reduced.
- Virtual servers have high reliability and high hardware quality.
MedIT supports the managed virtual servers, including setup and backup. The client is responsible for the applications, licenses, and program support.
Virtual server hosting is available by yearly subscription. Contact the Service Desk for current prices.
MedIT staff will work collaboratively with you to analyze and understand your specific needs and explain the best technology solution. You can get started by contacting the Service Desk.