Students return to the standard university structure for Phase 3. They may choose from an array of courses representing all of the specialties of medical laboratory science. While a research project is compulsory, students may select a project in an area of interest to them.
An overview of Phase 3 and specific courses are listed below. Many valuable options are available in other departments throughout the university.
Phase 3 Objectives
In Phase 3 students broaden their knowledge of theory and practice in medical laboratory science and develop further skills of analysis, synthesis and evaluation as they relate to the scientific method of inquiry. Upon completion of this year, a medical laboratory science student will:
- Gain experience in the research process by planning and conducting a research project.
- Develop the ability to use critical thinking in analyzing data and in formulating conclusions based on empirical evidence.
- Develop problem-solving skills.
- Develop the ability to write a scientific paper using a standard format.
- Develop knowledge of career opportunities and accordingly establish meaningful personal professional goals.
- Demonstrate a greater degree of independent learning than necessary in previous years.
- Learn advanced theories and newest techniques applicable to the field of medical laboratory science.
- Develop a broader knowledge base in the sciences and humanities.
- Develop a broader knowledge of quality assurance programs and establish familiarity with cGMPs and GLPs.
Required Phase 3 courses are listed below. Detailed MLSCI course information is available at Phase 3 courses.
A summary of MMI courses can be found at the MMI website.
- MLSCI 480(3) - Molecular Genetic Approaches to the Study and Diagnosis of Disease
- MLSCI 410 (3) - Introduction to Clinical Laboratory Management
- INT D 410 (3) - Interdisciplinary Health Team Environment
- MLSCI 491 (6) or MLSCI 409 (3) - Research project plus Science option (3)
AND 12 credits chosen from:
- MLSCI 420 (3) - Emerging Trends in Medical Laboratory Science
- MLSCI 430 (3) - Advanced Hematology
- MLSCI 460 (3) - Clinical Biochemistry
- MLSCI 466 (3) - Applied Toxicology
- MLSCI 475 (3) - Clinical Immunology
- MLSCI 481 (3) - Techniques in Molecular Biology
- MMI 405 (3) - Mechanisms of Pathogenicity
- MMI 415 (3) - Advanced Viral Pathogenesis
- MMI 426 (3) - Medical Parasitology