Year 3 is a 38-week clinical practicum comprised of laboratory rotations under the supervision of Alberta Precision Laboratories in the Edmonton Zone. Additional university courses run concurrently with this rotation.
Year 3 Objectives
In Year 3, students will become technically proficient in the five major disciplines and further develop problem solving skills. Upon completion of this year, a medical laboratory science student will be able to do the following:
- Perform efficiently basic techniques with precision and accuracy at an acceptable level of clinical competence to qualify to write the CSMLS certification examinations.
- Develop theoretical competence sufficient to be eligible to write the CSMLS examinations.
- Develop confidence in their abilities and recognize their limitations.
- Develop the ability to organize work and set priorities.
- Communicate effectively, defend judgments and conclusions, and cite supportive evidence.
- Follow safety regulations in the laboratory, and perform accepted protocol in case of accident.
- Use, care for and perform routine maintenance of equipment in the laboratory.
- Interpret test results and solve routine laboratory problems.
- Develop a positive attitude towards learning the laboratory disciplines.
- Develop positive attitude needed to be a competent medical technologist with a sense of responsibility in relation to patient care.
- Develop an understanding of the principles of ethical and professional behaviour for medical laboratory technologists.
- Become familiar with standard texts and journals for each discipline.
- Develop the ability to undertake independent, self-directed learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and present a large volume of information in a logical and concise manner.
- Demonstrate an ability to critically analyze current literature on a given topic by comparing the writings of various authors and by drawing pertinent personal conclusions.
- Communicate basic knowledge in an oral presentation in an organized and concise fashion.
- Develop the ability to analyze laboratory data.