Students return to the standard university structure for year 4. They may choose from an array of courses representing specialties of medical laboratory science. While a research project is compulsory, students may select a project in an area of interest to them.
Year 4 Objectives
In Year 4 students broaden their knowledge of theory and practice in medical laboratory science and develop further skills of analysis, synthesis and evaluation as they relate to the scientific method of inquiry. Upon completion of this year, a medical laboratory science student will:
- Gain experience in the research process by planning and conducting a research project.
- Develop the ability to use critical thinking in analyzing data and in formulating conclusions based on empirical evidence.
- Develop problem-solving skills.
- Develop the ability to write a scientific paper using a standard format.
- Develop knowledge of career opportunities and accordingly establish meaningful personal professional goals.
- Demonstrate a greater degree of independent learning than necessary in previous years.
- Learn advanced theories and newest techniques applicable to the field of medical laboratory science.
- Develop a broader knowledge base in the sciences and humanities.
- Develop a broader knowledge of quality assurance programs and establish familiarity with cGMPs and GLPs.